BSOD stop: 0x0000000C2 after booting to Windows XP install CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running a DELL Optiplex 330 system. When I boot to normally or to Safe Mode I get a BSOD STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0xC9xxx000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I moved the drive to another system booted into safe mode and get the same results.

I boot to a Windows XP install CD to do a repair and when it looks at the disk for a windows system folder it BSOD with the above stop code.

I have ran Ad-aware SE and have found no major virusses. I tried to run SpyBot S&D and get the same BSOD.

Running ScanDisk on the drive does not show any problems.

I am at the point of just re-installing the system and wanted to put this to a forum to see if anyone has an idea as how to fix it without having to format the drive and start over.

0x000000C2: BAD_POOL_CALLER which means a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.

At this point we don't know what drivers are causing the issue or it could be you are infected.

Run ESET's NOD32 online scanner and tell us the results (make sure you allow them to install their Active X; this is safe). We'll take it from there.

Drive is bad, most likely. Replace it under warranty.
Adaware is worthless. Use MalwareBytes, Avira Antivirus, and Superantispyware to test... or use the TechSpot Advanced 8-Step process to rule out infestations, but what you describe indicates that it is likely the hard drive is bad.
Reformat in another computer to test... or go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site to run their drive fitness test. Every drive manufacturer except Toshiba and TriGem have one. They are quick and helpful.

I did a scandisk on the drive and it seem to come out ok. But I will replace the drive anyway and do a full format on the old drive. I have drive backed up and will continue to scan with the virus scanners mention previous.

if in the future you ever have to do a full scan of your harddrive I have found the best option is to use the free utility for harddrive diagnostics provided by your harddrive manufacturer.

Let us know your results.

Yes, I agree. Their drive fitness tests are logged into their latest technology... and all tests are rarther quick... less than 6 minutes.

Only Toshiba and TriGem do not offer a similar drive fitness test.

final re-mark

I ran out of time. I did a full scan of the drive and found nothing. I reformated the drive OK. I did a full reinstall of the system and moved his system accross. It all went ok.

My thinking on the problem is that when I tried to do a dirty install it BSOD when it looked for the operating system on the drive. When it does this what files is it looking at. Oviously it is looking to see if their is a operating system and what operating system it is.

BUT what file could get corrupted that would cause a BSOD? Would not its investigation be passive?

I know that it could be infected but I did ran Malwarebytes. It find some trojens and one infection concerning the registry, but it did not fix my problem.

Most BSOD problems are caused by relatively simple hardware problems... bad memory module, inadequate memory for the task, power supply that is not up to the task, cpu fan that is slowing down from age and wear, causing heat problems. It can also be something as simple as lint and dust in the cpu fan or elsewhere.
Rarely is it file problems. Frequently it is memory or power supply.
You might want to download the free MemTest86 and burn it to a CD as an ISO, then run MemTest86 for four hours or 7 passes, whichever is longer.

I realise that.

But in this case it would cause a BSOD with drive image loaded onto another drive and running in another system. I am confident that it was not a hardware problem and it was caused by a system infection or a corrupted file that was access by the windows XP install CD.

With computers, anything is possible.
Usually, there is an error message or notice somewhere, and that code helps identify the cause of the problem, regardless of how cryptic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back