BSOD stop: 0x000000F4

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am continually getting the BSOD with the stop code of 0x000000F4... i have done a complete reformat and reinstall (multiple times),,, tested the Memory (good), and still get it randomly,,, i now can not Run the Chkdsk c: /r cause when it gets to the Files test (4 of 5) it hangs there and ends up rebooting eventually. i have tried MANY MANY things already.... this is all on a newer Sony Vaio. I have searched the web and done most things people at suggesting with no avail.... i am about to toss this thing out the window,, and of course i am just out of warranty...
Any help woudl be appreciated!!!!

second hard drive

so i threw the second hard drive in the machine again,,, now it wont boot at all,,, i attempted to run a chkdsk gets to 75% and says "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems" and it will not complete,, I attemtped to format, it will not format, just sits at 0% .... sometimes it will get as high as 3% but even this 3% takes HOURS,,,, any ideas on this one???
this IS a brand new hard drive.

Once again... The only thing left is the motherboard. I just replaced one in a Vaio here, but it had multiple problems like bad CPU fans, broken DC input jack, no PCMCIA slot detection, no USB port operation, bad CD R/W and BSOD's in XP... The customer actually paid to have this wreck fixed. It took 2 months and $675 to fix it!

might you have any idea why when i run a Chkdsk that when it gets to the Verifying File data (stage 4 of 5) it freezes on 34% complete,,, ???? it will not complete the scan through chkdsk.

The operating system is corrupt... You could try restoring XP from the Sony restore partition. You should be able to access this from the Control Panel, if this partition is still on the hard drive... (You replaced the hard drive several times???)

I have tried to restore from the restore Disks that i created when i first got the computer,,, but when it tries to restore, it gives me another error stating somthing to the fact that it needs disk one inserted,,,, but it IS inserted,,,, This is the second hard drive i am referring to with this particular problem,,,, i can not even get that hard drive to Format... when i try to reformat it, it just sits at 0%,,,, doesnt do a thing.
I have two hard drives for this computer,,, the first (original) is what DOES boot and run, but i get the BSOD with the F4 error,,,, and also when i run Chkdsk on Original hard drive it only gets to 34% and then starts over. The SECOND hard drive will not even boot,,,,and it will not accept me to reinstall windows, and will not format at all... is thany way to FORCE a fromat?

The new motherboard cost me $450... are you up to replacing one? It's a lot of work and $$. There is no way to force a format. You could buy a laptop hard drive USB external enclosure, and try formatting using another laptop or desktop computer to connect to

thanks for your input.... Fujitsu is allowing me to send the second hard drive back (the one that wont boot) we'll see what they have to say and maybe they will send me another hard drive,,,, if it IS my motherboard,,, will it end up corrupting my new hard drive again if i attempt to hook it up to this computer? when i get the new hard drive, should i format it first or simply use the restore disks for the computer??

How old is your Sony Vaio and what is the Sony model number? The model number should be located on a sticker below the LCD screen on the left side of the laptop with the screen open... If it is the motherboard, you will continue to have format troubles, and I doubt if the restore discs will work

it is less than a year old,,,, i bought it from a guy that "supposedly" won it from an office depot,,, and i know it was originally a office depot computer because of the things that were in it labeling Office Depot, so i know that part is true,,, the model number is VGN-FE670G..... it worked fine for me for the first couple months,,, then i started having these issues. I am trying to get some proof of "winnings" from the guy i bought it from then Sony says they will cover it under warranty,,, but i am having a hard time getting the guy i bought it from to get the necessary "proof of purchase", thus the reason i am trying to do this myself. When i first got the SECOND hard drive, i installed simply using the restore disks,,,, did not format first... it did work briefly, but now i cant do ANYTHING to that hard drive,,, wont format or chckdsk,,, nothing,,, and if i try to start it without any disks it says it has no operating system...what really has me stumped is that it wont even format.
Currently i was running the scan disk option to scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors,,, and it gets almost all the way through phase 4 then just as its about to complete it gives the BSOD with teh F4 error. this is on the ORIGINAL hard drive,,, i am sending the second hard drive that wont boot back to Fujitsu today.

That's really odd lilmanbgtruck,
the Vaio I talked about was 4 years old, and it had been in the hands of children too long... Your newer model Vaio is quite different than the ones I have worked on. The IDE controller is part of the motherboard. You have checked or replaced the memory, replaced hard drives, so I still have to say that it is a motherboard problem... The standard warranty is 1 year, but if you can't supply a proof of purchase, you're pretty much screwed... You could send it off to be repaired

how do i turn off the bios Shadowing,,,,, it says it is shadowing,, but there is no place to turn it off,,, this is one thing the BSOD is telling me to do.... i am now getting the BSOD with error F4 when i try to Defrag also.

i've got teh same problem.

In this case its a HDD failure (says it can;t detect it)

It's taken spinrite about 5 minutes just to detect it.

will run on level 5 overnight and let yas know how it went

hey TREV_PHI, this problem was completely corrected once i installed another new hard drive,,, apparently the new harddrive i was trying to use was corrupt itself, have not had a single problem since the new (3rd) hard drive was installed. Good Luck!

yeh spinrite found and recoverd a few bad sectors.
still won;t boot though. going to try killdisk and a re install. If that fails i'm gunna grab one from work ;)

even if you DO get it to boot (and i did several times) you will have the same problem in the future do to the bad Sectors. The bad Sectors are like a scratch on a old Record (LP)... it might get through it once or twice,,,, but it WILL be a problem again in the future,,, replace yrou hard drive if it has bad sectors.... thats what i did and no more problems and its been well over a year and half now. Dont rack your brain trying to figure it out,,, your hard drive needs replaced.

Good Luck

Bad sectors in a modern hard drive are almost never seen or noticed any more... Drives formatted in NTFS (NT File System) have better ways of "hiding" or flagging bad sectors so they are never seen or felt

even if you DO get it to boot (and i did several times) you will have the same problem in the future do to the bad Sectors. The bad Sectors are like a scratch on a old Record (LP)... it might get through it once or twice,,,, but it WILL be a problem again in the future,,, replace yrou hard drive if it has bad sectors.... thats what i did and no more problems and its been well over a year and half now. Dont rack your brain trying to figure it out,,, your hard drive needs replaced.

Good Luck

err that's what spinrite is specificly for.....
it recovers bad sectors and moves them to good sectors.

But yes u are right when u say its not a permanent fix. it's just a solution to recover data. I picked one up from work today neway, so i can load teh image. spinrite saved me from having to do a full reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back