BSOD, suspecting GeForce 6800 GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottendumpling

Just built a system around an AMD X2 3800+, DFI Lan-Party Ultra-D, and 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix. Suffered a BSOD while playing World of Warcraft. I think it's the video card (that's what it seems like in the debug log) but I looped 3DMark 2001SE overnight and it went fine. During the time of BSOD my mainboard auto set the RAM to 3-3-3-8 timings but I found out the spec was wrong so I manually changed it to manufacturer recommended specs of 3-4-4-8. Testing has gone well but I attached the debug log hoping someone can make out the rest of the information. Many thanks!

Attachments

• debuglog.txt
    16 KB · Views: 9
Hi,

It crashes at video processing. Probably it is the hardware problem at the video card. May be the video card is overheat or bad contact. Reseat the video card and open the computer case to improve the circulation. If your windows does not within two days, the problem is related to overheat. You can also run rumtest to stress test the ram.

Have you played the game since and had the same problem? Are all of the game patches applied and are you are not running any thrid party mods?

The bucket id, this gives a general indication as to the problem file or reason for the BSOD, the file being accessed was to do with the video driver and like cpc2004 states, it is more than likely linked to an overheating issue. If it is an intermittant problem check the cooling fins on the card?, make sure that air flow is not restricted. Taking the side panel off is a tempoary measure and would indicate that you need more ventialtion in the case.

I built a system for a friend three weeks ago and he complained that it was running slow, and occasionally crashed (BSOD), i eventually found that the fan on the 6800GT was working intermittantly, causing overheating and all sorts of problems. installed a new card and he is as happy as the provebial pis.

Since posting this the only thing I've done was set my RAM timings to factory spec which is 3-4-4-8 with 2.8v. WoW has not crashed since but I'm keeping a close eye on it. (I didn't have any mods at the time of crash but now I'm running CTMod which is awesome for any WoW'ers out there. And yes, I do have all the patches on it.)

Regarding heat issues I thought about it but I have a huge CM Stacker STC-T01 case with a 120mm fan drawing air in and over the video card and another 120mm fan exhausting warm air out the back. The card itself is a rather newish eVGA 6800 GS and the stock heatsink/fan on it looks beefy. But again, I'll take cpc's recommendation and test the heck out of it with the side panel off and see what happens.

Thanks for the assistance thus far guys.

Hi cpc, no BSOD since. So far I've ran prime95 in blend mode for 12hrs, looped 3DMark 2001SE for 12hrs and even snuck in some time on World of Warcraft without failure. I think I'm okay for now. Thanks for all the help here. :)

Install Service PAck 2 (or 3) for XP.
Rerun the DX9c installer.
Install the latest NVidia drivers.

The video card seems just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back