BSOD w/2 sticks of 1GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help!

I have a stock ACER E380 AMD 64 X2 5200 with 2GB RAM. I have been getting random restarts and BSODs for about a week, all types of different error codes. After reading up, I figured it may be a memory problem or a power problem. Since I replaced the PSU when I bought it (500W), I started with the memory.

I ran memtest overnight, all passed. So I thought maybe I have one bad stick. Booted up with one stick (1GB) for a couple of days, no BSODs. Swapped it for the other for a couple of days, no BSOD's. Put both back in, BSOD whenever I boot up!

The mobo is Acer and I can't find any documentation, but both sticks were in their original sockets. Original system RAM and they appear to be matching sticks.

Any ideas?

do you have any capacitors leaking?
Did you check your CMOS battery?
did you check your minidump files?

do you have any capacitors leaking?

No, but I will check again.

Did you check your CMOS battery?

How do I check this? Or just replace? BTW, this system is only 6 months old, if that matters.

Sorry, I don't know how to read them. :eek:

Thanks in advance!

baglady215 said:

Sorry, I don't know how to read them. :eek:

Thanks in advance!

you don't need to read them, if u have some, just post and someone will look and offer some help.

Incompatible RAM.

baglady215 said:
Booted up with one stick (1GB) for a couple of days, no BSODs. Swapped it for the other for a couple of days, no BSOD's. Put both back in, BSOD whenever I boot up!
One of the dumps has crashed at IRQL 1c, and this is a strong sign of a hardware problem. You've confirmed it's incompatible RAM with the best test you can do anyway.

I had a similar problem, and no matter what settings I tried, the RAM (dual channel kit) would not work together in the motherboard. Tried it in an older board and it worked without any problems.

peterdiva said:
One of the dumps has crashed at IRQL 1c, and this is a strong sign of a hardware problem. You've confirmed it's incompatible RAM with the best test you can do anyway.

I had a similar problem, and no matter what settings I tried, the RAM (dual channel kit) would not work together in the motherboard. Tried it in an older board and it worked without any problems.

Thanks for the reply. This RAM has been working fine for 6 months. Wouldn't this have happened right away?

So I guess I should just order new RAM and see if it works?

Update: I added the second stick back in, but now have 1GB in slot1 and 1GB in slot3. It appears to be running ok in single channel mode. Still don't know what happened, but it appears to be working. Thanks everyone.

I thought this was a new system. Did you try running just one stick at a time in slot 2? Slot 2 may have gone bad.

I'm back, still having issues. I upgraded to Vista with a clean install so it's obviously a hardware issue. Tried the RAM in slots 1 and 3 and still getting BSOD's. Does anyone think the RAM is incompatible (again, worked fine for 6 months) or it's a mobo problem? Or how would I know if it's a power problem? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back