BSOD when Burning DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. Looking for suggestions. This one's a challenge that I doubt anyone can resolve.

One harware change, I just reinstalled XP Pro. No glitches on installation.
The hardware change was a New 160Gig Hdd and it is Slave to my primary HDD. (the DVD drive used to be master by itself on the secondary IDE channel, now it has my CD burner as a slave)

I've run Windows Memory test for hours and memtest386+ for hours, All good RAM @ CAS 2, I've check the HDDs with the drive's utilities, all good. All other functions work perfectly. But now when trying to burn DVDs with ANY software I get BSODs and make coasters. Sometimes I can burn 1/10th of the DVD, sometimes it doesn't get through the lead-in.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and ...
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL are the errors

Sometimes there's a warning that the system is about to BSOD as the servie driver service, SVCHOST.DLL, will crash just before a BSOD.

The box has onboard audio, 2 NICs, a GeForce 5500 video card, and an additional PCI USB2.0 controller. These were present before the re-install of XP. And I was runnign SP2 before the reinstall and am again now.

I have shut off the "Enable CD Recording on this drive" option for both drives in the Drive Properties window.

I've reset the BIOS PCI configuration data so it could re-organize the IRQs associated with the PCI cards. I've moved cards around in different slots at random because PCI slots seem to couple IRQs with neighbors, I've upgraded the firmware on EVERY device/component I could find and I've clocked the RAM down as slow and clocked it up as fast as it goes. All that's left is messing with shuffeling drives around on the master/slave primary/secondary. (I have removed the new HDD already, but not put the IDE devices back in the old config) That will be next. Does anyone have a CLUE as to what might be going on? I've made WAY TOO MANY coasters out of 8x DVDs to continue on my own. CDs burn just fine still ... DVDs used to burn just fine with this drive.

This is my last joust with Windows XP Pro. If I cannot resolve this, I'm moving to a REAL OS, Debian Linux.

- Thanks in advance.

Hmmmm?

What type of usb 2.0 controller?
This may be a suspect. I had one so I could run
external cd burner (Iomega). Things where fine until
BSOD
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and ...
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Seems to me it was an Adaptec aspi package that caused my errors.
d/load and install the latest aspi from Here
It may not matter if you have any adaptec products or not.
info
G'Luck :giddy:

Thanks for the reply

Yeah, I've also updated the ASPI dll for my drive and upgraded all the drivers (Microsoft had a KB about logitech drivers causing the issue). I haven't had a chance to reboot, yet, but I'll get to switching those drives around and I'll yank the USB 2.0 controller.

We'll see if that helps. I seem to remember running without the USB controller and it BSODing (it was present in the system before the install and burns went fine). It's a pretty generic NEC card.

When Windows crashes with blue screen, it writes a system event 1001 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump.Check system event 1001 and it has the content of the blue screen

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001. Copy the content and paste it back here

Zip 6 to 7 minidumps and attach the zip files at any webspace. I will study the dump and find out the culprit.

I am handling a similar problem at this forum relating to Nero burning DVD and crash XP. It is a storage overlaid problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back