BSOD when laptop runs on battery (OK on power outlet!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

katone

hi all, and thanks for this forum :grinthumb .
I m having the weirdest problem: my laptop gives me BSOD when it runs on battery power. When I plug it in to the power outlet, everything is fine.
Last BSOD message was: PFN LIST CORRUPT, but I also had IRQL NOT lESS EQUAL before..
I tried running on different memory stick configurations, but still get BSODs while running on batteries (again, everything is fine when laptop is plugged on the wall..).
I m lost. why would the computer do BSOD only when it runs on batteries???
The machine is an intel centrino 1.3ghz with 1.25gb of ram, runs on xp pro.
should I post my minidump or is there some steps I could take first? thanks for the help!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It sounds like the battery needs replacing. It`s obviously not providing enough power.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thanks!! :)

I have two batteries (one of them being almost new), and the laptop gives error with both..
could they both be defective?

It is possible they are both bad, but I agree with Howard your most likely cause of the BSOD is low power. Are you running any extras on the LP? Like a second USB HDD or an upgrade video card or other USB devices?

I suppose that`s possible.

Can you rma the new battery?

Maybe contact your laptop makers and see if they know what the problem may be.

Regards Howard :)

kirock said:
Are you running any extras on the LP? Like a second USB HDD or an upgrade video card or other USB devices?
it gave me the bsod yesterday, and nothing was USB'ed on it..
I did a HD upgrade on the laptop, tho, almost same model HD with an extra 20gigs on it (old HD became corrupted), I m wondering if that could be it maybe.

I ll try what Howard suggests also: contacting Acer.

thanks again

I am having this problem also. I disabled HT on the CPU and it doens't do it unless i plug something in. Did you find a solution for this? Was it the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back