TechSpot

BSOD when playing any game

By jsummersphd
May 21, 2007
  1. I've never had a problem until after I reformatted my hard drive, which still ran fine for a few days. After a couple days, though, whenever I play any game on it, my system crashes after just a few minutes of playing.

Windows XP Pro SP2
    512 MB RAM
    nVidia GeForce FX 5200
    nForce 2 chipset

I've tried every method of troubleshooting known to me including thoroughly cleaning the interior, swapping the RAM, monitoring the system temperature, running Windows update, updating all my drivers (which I did after the nuke, anyway), renewing my page file, running chkdsk... I'm really exasperated on this one. My next option is to try to run a clean install of Windows, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Here's the error information:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 f380ccfe, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 ef04fb03.

Thanks to anyone who helps!

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,172   +37

All five minidumps point to one thing: nvmcp.sys which is a driver for Nvidia onboard audio. A good number of people have had issues with this driver and they either a) updated their drivers for their onboard or b) disabled in the BIOS and put in a sound card.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.