BSOD when starting laptop

I'll explain what happened today.

I was on my laptop, and I recently downloaded Mozilla Firefox 3.6 because I heard the quality was better compared to Internet Explorer.

Here's how the problem started: When I pressed save on MS paint, this error message with the X in a red circle showed up, and then the entire screen suddenly blacked out a second later, and I was unable to read the whole message before the black-out. There was no power black-out; the lights were still on when it blacked out. The laptop was still running; it didn't instantly shut down by itself.

Having turned off the laptop and turning it on again, for a few seconds I thought the problem was solved...until the BSOD showed up. I tried going for safe mode but there was no help.

I will now give out the info regarding this problem. The screen of death said something about 'DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xFFFFF880010D0771)

*** iaStor.sys - Address FFFFF880010D0771 base at FFFFF88001086000, DateStamp 4a287aa4

Collecting data for crash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

Sometimes, Safe Mode does work, but then randomly the BSOD shows up again. I have no idea how to solve this and I have been frantically finding a solution. Anyone familiar with this problem? Thanks.

~Andrew

In Safe Mode uninstall Firefox. What are the results? Have you tried a System Restore point prior to the installing of Firefox?

In Safe Mode uninstall Firefox. What are the results? Have you tried a System Restore point prior to the installing of Firefox?

I suspect that Firefox is what got me into this mess to start with, so I already uninstalled it. Still no effect. Now don't get me wrong, it is still possible to successfully boot in safe mode, it's just getting a BSOD instead has the upper hand...I think.

Also, I just did a system restore, but it didn't make much of a difference; the same problem persisted.

Recently, I suspected of a certain file named 'iastor.sys' that was said to be disguising itself as a type of spyware or virus, so I deleted it in safe mode when I had the chance.

ups ?

iaStor.sys - intel storage (hdd) drivers usually

check your hdd for bad sectors - check smart status

Back