BSOD when trying to reinstall windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier today I my computer was going fine. I have a 3.0 GHz Intel Chip with a Biostar Mobo, and an nVidia GeForce MX 400 i think. I am also running Windows XP Pro SP2! (or at least trying to)! I switched out my video card earlier today with one of my other computers (linux server) to try and reinstall linux on that computer. Then, when i put the card back into my original computer it would boot up and then when it got the Windows XP loading screen, it would start to load and then the screen would go black and the monitor would say... "No Signal". It kept doing this so i thought that maybe i got a virus or something. So... I reinstalled windows and it gets about a 1/4 of the way through the install and then it happens:

THE BSOD!!!!!!.

A problem has been dectected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

It says DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000008, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

If anyone can help... it would be greatly appreciated.

possibility your shorted the board. I hope you used static precautions.

remove your drivers and reload them.

sounds like Hard disk corruption again..

try deleting all partions on the disk using diskpart or another bootable hdd manager like partition magic, acronis disk director,paragon hard disk mgr etc... before you start your installation then recreate your partitions and format them.

Note: for a true Clean installyou should do as above because this creates new partition tables, mbr's, takes care of 99% of virus related problems, filesystem issues and most disk corruption problems as well.

If you still get failures then your problem is either bad sectors on the hard drive which you can try to repair with a hdd regeneration tool, or somewhere else on your system.

before i installed windows, i used fdisk to remove all partitions and then repartitioned the drive, formatted it and then tried to install Windows XP Pro SP2.

Tedster said:
possibility your shorted the board. I hope you used static precautions.

i don't think that i could have shorted the motherboard because the computer has been working it just stopped after i took the card out, used it with another computer and then put it back in.

Could the graphics card have maybe gone bad?

quite possible that the graphics card is bad

Does your install fail at about 3/4 the way through "Installing devices"?

If it does its likely that either the graphics card is bad, but it's more likely to be disk corruption. Fdisk might not have been the best tool to use.

Use your xp cd to partition, follow instructions given by Howard Hopkinso in this thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53903.html

Hey... thanks for all of your help. I did some system diagnostics which helped me to determine that I fried my video card. I tested the install with a different one and it works great. Guess all i have to do is get a new one! thnks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back