BSOD with ATI Radeon 9600SE on XPSP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I installed this card in a computer with the following configuration:
MS8308EP Motherboard (SiS 730s, Firmware upgraded)
Duron 1.2 GHz
256 MB RAM
300W PSU
Windows Professional XP SP2 (fully patched)
AGP port configured at 2x speed, disable write combine for stability (4x gave visual artefacts in 3D as did write combine)
After installation the computer ran for a couple of hours without problems, both 2D and 3D worked fine. The following day it hung multiple times with a BSOD after anything between 5 minutes and 2 hours, regardless of whether in 2D or 3D mode.

I have previously used this card without problems on a computer with the following configuration:
Syntax S651m motherboard (SiS 651)
Pentium IV 2.4 GHz
1 GB RAM
300W PSU
Windows XP SP2
4x AGP, write combine enabled

I have already tried re-installing the drivers.
I have tried lowering the graphics acceleration, and then the BSOD no longer appears but gaming is sluggish.
I have tried re-enabling write combine.
I have tried lowering AGP speed to 1x.
None of these have solved the problem.

Obviously a 300W PSU is more than adequate for this rig.

I am at a loss here, what should I try next?

Hello, banjo, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, it may be a power supply problem or maybe just the general low specs of your pc that's causing your problem :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back