BSOD with driver_irql_not_less_or_equal in WinXP

Hey ya'll. Lately I've been getting the infamous BSOD with driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. It blames "nvmcp.sys" for the memory dump. I'm using WinXP SP3. What/How do I find the file report so I can post it on here?

I'm thinking the problem has to do with my primary hard drive running out of space and thus the OS has (or thinks it has) no virtual memory to run programs, but I have 20 GB of free space on my secondary hard drive, and 40 GB of free space on my USB external (that I use as a backup archival). And Windows is handling the virtual memory in auto mode.

This BSOD only happens when I'm playing a game. (I know, I know, I should get rid of all the games and only play games with an Xbox or something, and leave the real computing to the pc.) If only I could pinpoint the problem, then I would know what to do - where to go next.

Thanks for your help, peeps. :grinthumb

Hi Hienx1,

The nvmcp driver is an audio driver for your motherboard so the first thing to do is check on the motherboard manufacturer's site for any undated drivers. You need to download the new driver to your desktop for your version of windows and then uninstall the old driver in Device Manager and then install the new one by double clicking on it.

You are unlikely to have received this error due to insuficient disk space.

Please follow this guide to post your minidumps.

First locate your minidump files, they are usually found by clicking on your C: drive, in windows explorer, then click on Windows to view the contents. If your operating system is installed under a different drive letter then look there. They should be stored under a file called minidump.The files will have a .dmp extension.

Zip up at least 6 of the most recent files into one zip folder and save on your desktop (if there are less than five just zip up what you have).

Below the reply box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button, Manage Attachments. Click on that and a popup-window opens.

Click on the Browse button, find the zip folder you made earlier and doubleclick on it.

Now click on the Upload button in the popup. When done, click on the Close this window button.

Enter your message-text, then click on Submit Message.

Ho-Kay, Mark. Please see attachment "minidump.zip" to view the files in question. Thanks for your help.

I just got another BSOD this morning while playing one of my games, Hitman. I've noticed this ONLY happens when I play a game. It NEVER happens during audio & video editing, audio recording, audio playback, etc. It ONLY happens when I play a game.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    69.1 KB · Views: 4
Unfortunately the Zip file isn't extracting, I'll get back to you on that. EDIT. I can't get that file to extract, what did you use to create it?

From the additional information given I would say it is more likely a graphics issue. Sometimes BSOD's can give misleading information, seeing a few of the minidumps will help.

Unfortunately the Zip file isn't extracting, I'll get back to you on that. EDIT. I can't get that file to extract, what did you use to create it?

From the additional information given I would say it is more likely a graphics issue. Sometimes BSOD's can give misleading information, seeing a few of the minidumps will help.

I used WinZip to create it. :(

I have used Winzip and 7 zip to open these files, they do actually extract and the properties show as six .dmp files but when I open the folder they are in its empty. I have probably done this with dump files every other day for the past 6 months including this morning so I am quite sure the problem is not at my end.

Please send the files again uncompressed.

Back