BSOD with wireless card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell Latitude D820 WinXP SP2
2Gb RAM
2.00GHz
Intel Proset 3945ABG Card

A month or ago, I was trying to setup a bluetooth connection between a Trimble GPS unit and my laptop to transfer files. Something happened and I'm not sure what. Since then every time I flip on my wireless switch the system locks and crashes after about 3 minutes. The BSOD, when I get it, gives an STOP 0x000000F4 error (0x00000003, etc.).

BUT my computer works flawlessly when I don't turn the wireless card on.

I've reinstalled Intel's proset software, and reinstalled drivers. I've even removed the software and turned on the wireless switch (with no connection software present) and it still locks up and crashes.

Any ideas?

STOP 0x000000F4 can have several different causes. You've only given part of the error message though. Please find the corresponding Error in the Event Viewer:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

This will give us the additional information needed to troubleshoot.

please go to control panel, system, advanced tab, settings for Startup and Recovery, uncheck "Restart automatically" and select "small memory dump (64kb)" below Restart automatically check box.
let the laptop blue screen again. restart it yourself and browse for the minidumps in c:\windows\system32 ( I think that was the directory to look for the dumps - extension .dmp )
please post some of the latest dmp files here. I can analyze them and probably tell you more about the real error you have.

Did you re-install the latest drivers and software for your wireless card from the manufacturers web site? This could be software bug that they have since fixed.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back