Bsod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concorde

i have just posted a new thread on the problem of a really mixed up latop which suffered a bsod. what i would like to know if there is an alternative way to completely erase a hdd on a computer that will not accept commands ( fdisk & format) ideally a machine that starts with the command to install the o/s. (a fresh start) would be great. the hard disk is in working order.

Hi Guys. sorry for the long post, but thought I just had to share it to help newbies like me. Experts kindly excuse :)
After recently installing Service Pack 3 (SP3), or it could be the .NET framework that I had installed, my Toshiba Satellite M-45 Laptop(2005/6 model) showed the blue screen of death (BSOD) telling me "Hard error c000021a".
For a coupla days I didn't know what was happening, I started searching this and that fora. Then since ubuntu was installed and I'd NEVER until that time had ever used it, I forced myself to use that, and though it took a few days to get used to, it was pretty refreshingly different.
To cut a long story short I did a system restore.
Here's I went about it: after I got the c000021a error, I removed the battery for an hour or so, went out for dinner :) , and restarted the laptop and lo! I did get a log on screen , BUT there was another nasty surprise, there was log-on icon missing, nothing to click on! Another two days went by, more googling etc.
Finally I just pressed F8 while it was booting up and I got these options:
+ safe mode
+ safe mode with command prompt
+ start windows normally
+ disable auto start after crash or something like that(pardon my ignorance)
I chose "safe mode with command prompt." Then and only then did I get an Administrator icon, asking for a password, which I duly filled. I got a command screen window which went something like this

c:\Documents and settings Administrator>_

Now what: then googled the words "safe mode with command prompt", and was led to this microsoft support site support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

A few vital exerpts from there:

"If a new program has made your computer behave unpredictably, and uninstalling the new program did not help, you can try the Windows XP System Restore tool.Important If you have not previously set a restore point in System Restore, you cannot restore your computer to a previous state. (last sentence can be ignored)

To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:
1. Restart your computer, press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in "safe mode with a Command prompt".
2. Use the arrow keys to select the "Safe mode with a Command prompt" option.
3. If you are prompted to select an OS, select the appropriate operating system, and then press Enter.
4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state."

That's it! I made it! - restored to about 3 weeks previously.

You could use the windows boot cd to repair your pc, but before that boot linux to recover your files. KISS-Keep it simple, stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back