BSOD

Gerald

I have a Asus motherboard M2N-E
2gig DDR2 Gskill Ram
Nvidia's GeForce 7950 GT graphics card
AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
Windows XP sp3

I have had my system for A WHILE as yo can tell but i only used it for gaming. Its has been wonderful to me all these years a few years ago i bought a External HD and hooked it up by way of USB port and as i was transferring the data to the HD i would always get a BSOD so i finally stopped.
Recently i went to a wireless connection using an SMC EZ Connect - Network Configuration wireless adapter. and for the first week or so everything was fine but now when i try to download Files i get BSOD again. like when i download game up dates or installs. It seems like i am getting them more and more. I also ran Memtest 86 and got no errors. and tried 1 stick of ram at a time and everything was fine. I do want to upgrade eventually but times are hard and i am hoping this is something i can fix. I also did a reformat 3 times in 1 day but no fix.

I did notice that when i was wired to the Century link modem i never had an issue then going with charter wireless i had all the issues and i have a yellow exclamation point and it can find the hardware or device. i get a box that pops up every time i start up.

...a yellow exclamation point and it can find the hardware or device

It can or can't f\ind the device? What does the pop up box say? Can you post any minidumps?

sorry it can't find the device. i really didn't start having this issue until i started using that SMC wireless adapter

i will im at work but as soon as i get home i will post more info thanks for your help thus far.

now im home and i booted up my desktop and the box that pops up says New hardware found would you like to install the drivers. i clicked yes but it was unable to locate anything. i went under the system menu and there is a yellow ? under other devices and it says Unknown device. i have nothing hooked up but the computer to the monitor and the keyboard and mouse. kinda confused.

i also reformatted again this morning and im going to run a cable from the modem to the PC instead of downloading the wireless adapter

OK SOOOOOo i finally got everything back to almost perfect. I am using direct connection to the modem and i can download files and everything with no issues. But i noticed that i still have the Unknown device. If i go under device manager its located under Other Devices. once i figure this out it will be like i have my brand new computer back. I tried to find the drivers for the Unknown Device it says it cant be found but if i go under properties it says

The driver for this device are not installed (Code 28)
device type Other device
Manufacturer- Unknown
Location- On Microsoft-ACPI-Compliant System

i also went under Components/ Problem devices
it says Not available PNP device ID= ACPI\AWY0001\2&DABA3ff&0

thank you for all your help so far

With desktops there's not much about "unknown devices" as with laptops with card readers or mini-memory cards, and modems. Since your is a desktop, does it have a modem or card reader installed? Or this:
[FONT=Arial]You need to install Asus ACPI Driver for the motherboard. It may be part of the motherboards chipset[/FONT]

It had a built in ethernet card that went bad so i had to buy another one.. now im using a DlinkDFE-530tx but nothing else i will try and look up the acpi driver for the motherboard. i still have the disk that came with it i figured it would be up there

I tired to find the ACPI driver but everything i downloaded did not fix the problem. Im still working on it though.

Back