Bsod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Great forum!

I have just been introduced to the BSOD. After reading various threads about these errors I just can't seem to fix my problem. I have tried Memtest, clearing and setting page files etc, but it wont just budge.

Ok, I seem to get the problem everytime I try to install Windows Updates as I have set it to install at my convenience and after a few minutes I get the 'screen'. The error is the familiar 0x0000008E, and various internet sites suggest it might be to do with my memory!!!

I have attached minidumps, and this is the description of the event viewer log:

"Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 efc378b7, parameter3 ef5cca20, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I always have spare memory handy for testing. If your system uses 2 sticks, swap their positions and see if the BSOD's settle. If you just have 1 stick... swap it out. As fastco said, you may run memtest for 24 hours and not get a hit. It take under 10 minutes to swap memory, once you get used to installing the modules. I'm pretty good :)

Thanks for your reply, very helpful and all replys point to one issue. However I failed to mention that I am using a notebook. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks for the clearification...
Notebooks use SODM memory but the same instructions may apply especially replacing the memory. I doubt if you have 2 modules to swap though. Most laptops/notebooks have fixed memory as well as removeable memory. If you are lucky the faulty memory might be removeable. If not, your notebook may be toast, unless it is still under warranty. The fixed memory is part of the motherboard and motherboards for notebooks are very expensive. Laptop/notebook memory is located on the bottom of the notebook under a cover, held in place by a small screw. Remove the screw and gently remove the cover. Metal catches usually hold the memory in place. Release these catches and remove the memory module. Reverse this procedure to install new memory

Hi, I am experiencing the same only to a far more intrusive level! I cannot even enter repair or install XP, I have changed the memory and shuffled the ram slots, changed graphic cards, changed HDs x 3 different ones (all work perfectly fine, memory & HDs in my main puter?? The motherboard, cpu and ram on this one were working fine before??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back