BSODs and a question about Memtest86+

Meepster

So here's my story, (I can upload minidumps after my computer runs this memtest for a bit). Anyway my computer has taken to crashing a ton at completely random times, mostly with bccode 109 and similar ones claiming a system function tried to perform an illegal call or that it unexpectedly quit etc. most often citing memory corruption as a problem. So I have a ubuntu 10.10 disk that has memtest86+ version 4.10 I believe. Now so far I have let it run for a total of over 7 passes (split up over about a week though so I'm not sure if this makes a difference) and it has yet to find an error. The question I have about memtest is when it's scanning my second stick of ram (I have a 2x gskill ripjaws ddr3 pc12800 2gig sticks) it scans 2048M to 3200M then skips to scanning from 4096M to 4998M. Is this normal? And I'm assuming the 2048M etc stands for the megabyte its looking at? Am I way far off here or is something messed up going on.

*edit* also yes I have checked the voltages and timings in my bios and they are all correct

*Edit: 2* 4 passes of memtest on the second half of my ram turned up error free still

Attachments

• Minidump.7z
    132.7 KB · Views: 1
Meepster, please Zip your five most recent dumps in one Zip file please and I will read them for you. Thanks.

5 most recent in this attached zip file, then approximately 10 total in the 7zip archive attached to my first post

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    112.1 KB · Views: 2
Your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

I have run memtest for over 7 passes total but not all in one sitting. My computer was crashing a ton so I gave up for the night and am letting memtest run over night. I am also curious if you can tell my anything about why it tests 196k-2024M then 2024M-3200M then 4046M-4998M. It seems like its skipping a chunk and testing non existent memory locations? Also the version of memtest i have is memtest86+ v4.10 because I don't currently have a blank disk laying around to burn the new version to (yes i'm a failure of a computer nerd for not having any blank ones around I know >.<)

4.10 is fine. here is the thing about memtest: MKany people think it just repeats the same patterns over and over but that isn't the case at all. Thus the seemingly "skipping over" as you observe.

I have had experiences whereby if I have corrupted memory even memtest will crash because the system is so unstable.

How many sticks of RAM do you have installed?

I have 2 sticks of ram installed currently which are 2 gigs each. Memtest ran 11 passes last night with no errors. =/ Also its not the pattern that is skipping I know that one changes each time, but it is the section of memory it is currently working on that seems to skip over the second chunk of a stick of ram

Remove that second stick. Any issues since doing so? It could be a faulty motherboard slot.

Trying this now I will keep ya updated. Also running memtests while only having 1 stick in the first slot, then i will try only 1 stick in the second slot and see if it does the weird skipping thing again and if it does i will swap to the other set of ram slots on my mobo. I'm leaning towards it being a broken ram slot at the moment

Ok ran just a few passes on each stick, no errors, tried putting both sticks into the second dual channel slots and still does the weird skipping over a chunk bit so i have one stick in and i'm going to see if my computer bsod's again

No bsod's for 1 stick and no bsod's for 2 sticks of my friends ram (also gskill but lower clock speeds but i have it overclocked running at the same speed as my other stuff).. So either my mobo (ASRock 890 Deluxe 4) hates my gskill ram or I have no idea what.. Any insights?

So does anyone else know about any compatabililty issues here? Still have yet to get a bluescreen using this ram from my friend and he hasn't had any problems using my old stuff so its not bad ram anyway.

Nice RAM and nice motherboard but note that in order to have your 1600 RAM to run at it's designed speed it needs to be overclocked per the details via ASRock.

Yeah I did have it overclocked correctly :/ but anyway it seems to have been incompatible somehow because I have yet to bluescreen since switching out the ram and my friend hasn't either.. I used to have at least a blue screen a day so I'm guessing its probably fixed but i'll post again if it breaks down and pitches a fit.

P.S. Throw my Phenom II 965 x4 Black edition processor and my ati hd6880 black edition and it dominates things :)

Back