BSODs, caused by tdi.sys and afd.sys, minidumps included

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlatko

Hi,

I've never, EVER, in my whole life experienced any kind of BSOD in XP(sounds crazy I know), but lately I've got 4 of them in the last 2 weeks. So naturaly, I'm really iritated right about now.

The first one was caused by tdi.sys and after lots of googling, I downloaded the debugging tool and opened my first ever minidump. Again after a lot of googling, on one forum it was advised that I change the tdi.sys located in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

with the one from:

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

I did and that BSOD didn't happen again. I was soooo happy.

Few hours later I was greeted by another BSOD and after opening the minidump it said it was caused by afd.sys. That file caused my latest 3 BSODs. What does it do and can I update it somehow?

Before my latest BSOD I disabled the automatic restart so I can see if the BSOD itself gives any more information. Here's what it said:

BAD_POOL_CALLER and below 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x000001AE, 0x89472EEC)

After some more googling I found out that 0x000000C2 is cause mainly by corrupted drivers or something.

After each BSOD, after rebooting, XP starts and works normally.

I ran memtest and chkdsk and everything was fine. Any other ideas? Please see minidumps attached.

Edit; oh running SP3 here.

Attachments

• Mini090608-01.dmp
    100 KB · Views: 6
Two of your errors are 0x8E and core Windows drivers are cited which doesn't help much because they are too general to help. However, these errors are strong indications of hardware issues.

The other two erros are 0xC2: BAD_POOL_CALLER
A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this.

Again, core Windows drivers are cited which isn't much help. So...

1. Scan for infections.

2. Type in your Run box that is in your Start Menu chkdsk and hit okay.

3. Run memtest on your RAM for a minimum of 7 passes. www.memtest.org

4. Run a full harddrive diagnostics, especially the Long Test. You can get the free utility from your harddrive manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back