BSODs during YouTube and minor browsing (minidump attached)

I have an HP 2730p tablet running 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, clean install. I have the latest Intel graphics drivers installed. My Intel graphics is Mobile Series 4 Express, GMA 4500.

When I'm playing a Youtube music video in the background while I browse casually on Chrome, my computer will go into BSOD after about 2 minutes into the video. It is very reproducible, although sometimes I need to play the video twice to get it to BSOD. It has BSODed while not playing Youtube also.

Most of the BSOD errors are "IRQL Not Greater/Not Less or Equal Error," although I've also gotten a whole bunch of other ones (like dxgmms1.sys). I'm running out of ideas.

Attached are my Minidump files. Processor is 1.86 ghz L9400 mobile Penryn, temperature readings are around 38-42C, 2 gigs of RAM.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• 061111-35646-01.dmp
    142.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 061111-29390-01.dmp
    142.4 KB · Views: 1
Hello guinea
I could read only one of the dumps, as the other one just hangs up the debugger. Anyway, I suspect that particular crash was caused by Synaptics driver, do you have synaptics software/driver on this tablet? If so, please see whether updates are available; if so please update.

Thanks for replying. I was using my trackpad at the time of that crash and it may have just crashed the synaptics driver at that moment as well. A look at my dumps (BlueScreenViewer is awesome) showed "halmacpi.dll" was consistently responsible. That told me it was likely a hardware error.

I solved my issue with some new sticks of Crucial RAM in case anyone else had the same issue.

Memtest86+ I feel is not entirely reliable for detecting problems with RAM. I ran it through 7 passes last week and had 0 errors. A far quicker diagnostic is to just switch out the RAM with another laptop's RAM.

With new sticks of RAM, I haven't had a BSOD in over 36 hours with Youtube running constantly and some aggressive browsing and flash usage. I used to get a BSOD at least twice in 12 hours.

Glad to hear that, memtest is sort of 'stress tool' to check your RAM, so sometimes errors may only show up very very long run. Anyway, happy computing and thanks for update. Regards

Back