Bsod's on 9600GT in SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

septerrac

heaya guys, im in trouble and cant find a clear solution anywhere..

yesterday i installed a 2nd asus 9600GT to go running SLI
first attempt took place under vista ultimate x64, when i booted, a pup up came up telling me he found a sli setup and if i wanted to enable, so i click yes..

problem starts, first screen goes black ( monitor switches to stand by ) and after a while i get an bsod, nvldmmdm.dll ( or . sys ) if i remeber correct, after reading stories on inet about 9600GT drivers not fully vista compatable i thought lets format and instal xp 64 bits, and then when i enable sli same story only the bsod points towards nv4_mini.sys..

my system specs are >

amd athlon 64 x2 6000+
asus crosshair nforce 590I sli
corshair ddr2 800 xms2 4gb
2x asus 9600GT
OCZ stealthxtreme 600W
zalman cpns9700 cpu cooler

the problem is not generated by temperatures, there all on normal levels, 30C ~ 40C

as far as i can tell visual and spec wise the both 9600GT's are identical.

what im a doing wrong here,, anyone that experianced this aswell ?

thnx in advance

just for a note XP 64bit is not a good OS lots of things have driver problems with it, and the thing is drivers for it are no longer being produced.

wel i switched back from vista 64, to xp 64 and eventually back to xp 32 sp1 and sp2 and sp3 none seem te work any better wich makes me think its not actually an OS problem.

so what can it be else ? so i tried flashing different bios, none of wich seem to improve sli at any way.. so back to the most recommended asus 0804 bios..

what next... nvidia drivers maybe? i tried the one from cd 174.16 and all te way up to the latest 175.xx drivers.. tried them all in between, with also no to little changes, where the little chances are actually worst :p so no luck there either..

i read alot in the meanwhile that many experiance problems like these with 9600GT in SLI and none seem to have a solution or explaination for this :S :S

i again looked at my cards, noticing that the solid state caps are not the same on both cards, wich makes me think one card is a newer edition.. but layout is same on both, so they cant be that far apart.. should work i think..

try taking out the old 9600gt and just use the new 9600gt without sli and run some games or a stress test it to make should the new 9600gt inst bad

@dustin, i just tried both cards individualy they both seem to be working like they sould, no errors, no Bsod's no artifacts.. nothing.. so i think i can exclude damaged cards at this points...

@rage, yes i tried different chipset drivers, different bios'es, different grapic drivers.. even tried different OS's.. :(

still trying out some bios,es.. found the asus 0702 pretty stable, but i found out that my system hangs at surfing even this forum wich dont seem to be like a heavy graphic application :p so im kinda stunned now... ( does that at all bios'es )

i took 2 gb ram out ( ive got 2x 2gb ) and removed the sli bridge so it doesnt hang anymore.. but memtest86 says i dont have faulty ram.. so it sill isnt damaged hardware of any i can think of :S

anyone here using a asus crosshair mobo ? if yes, what bios and chipset driver do u guys got it rock solid stable at ?

weird thing i also found out, that my ddr2 voltages hangs on 2,22 :S even when i set it to 2.1 volt, or 1,9 stock it stays at 2.22 at bios hardware monitor and everest dimm volt says also 2.22 why is this ???

still trying out some bios,es.. found the asus 0702 pretty stable, but i found out that my system hangs at surfing even this forum wich dont seem to be like a heavy graphic application :p so im kinda stunned now... ( does that at all bios'es )

i took 2 gb ram out ( ive got 2x 2gb ) and removed the sli bridge so it doesnt hang anymore.. but memtest86 says i dont have faulty ram.. so it sill isnt damaged hardware of any i can think of :S

anyone here using a asus crosshair mobo ? if yes, what bios and chipset driver do u guys got it rock solid stable at ?

weird thing i also found out, that my ddr2 voltages hangs on 2,22 :S even when i set it to 2.1 volt, or 1,9 stock it stays at 2.22 at bios hardware monitor and everest dimm volt says also 2.22 why is this ? did i broke my mobo ? :(

update.

ive ran memtest86 on both memory sticks, after almost 2 hours of testing, zero errors..

prime95 ( orthos ) ran for 45 minutes without anything weird.

ran both 3d cards septeratly in oblivion, team fortress 2, call of duty 4, assassins creed, and even let them do a couple of 3dmark06 and nothing, everything works like it should...

but when i put them in sli, i get screen flicker, i sometimes see white or bleu dots even when only browsing or booting.. pc hangs on browsing and other random applications. and sometime the black screen where my monitor goes to standby..

anyone some bright idea's to this problems ? enlighten me :p

2 hours of testing is not enough, u need to test each stick at least 7 passes, or over night. bad mem. can pass memtest86 once in a while but if u get any errors then the mem. is bad.

If your RAM passes an overnight memtest, the only other thing left is the board itself. It's the only other component that could cause such a problem.

i dont know how i did it but it seems fixed now..

yesterday i whas so fed up with this problem, that i took my rig to a friend, when we arrived at my friends house and plugged it in, it worked

so maybe it had something to do with me testing all hardware one by one and cleared cmos everytime i changed the test setup..

what also could be an option whas the way the power supply is connected, i actually had pciE1 connector in card 2 and pciE 2 connector in card one, changed that aswell

to make sure it wasnt an underpowerd situation i started testing with overclocks,

got it stable at

cpu : from 3 ghz to 3,3 ghz mhz
ram : from ddr2 800 to ddr2 945 mhz
gpu's : from 650 / 1600 / 1800 to 730 / 1800/ 2000 mhz
HT link : x4 nicely balanced on 1016 mhz

so more then enough power now :p

if i ever find out what whas the real problem i let u guys know. for now im just happy it worked and not gonna break my head to much on it anymore rofl

thanks for the reply's

hmm the problem continues, but this time the BSOD actually saved a memory dump.. althou i dont know how to read those files, i included it as zip, if anyone can take a look at it i would appreciate more then ever..

this error makes me crazy and im thinking this dump file reveals more then i found out so far

update.. to exclude overheating and getting bored with my el-cheapo gamingcase i bought an antec 900 case, al idle temps stay below 30C and i mean all cpu gpu psu motherboard case.. on load everything hovers around 40c ( cpu ) - 55c ( gpu )
thats very nice concedring im still running 3,3 ghz overclock.

but no matter what i try i still getting errors, i tried everything i found on the net on possible solutions. no luck..
when i enable sli i getting errors, xp says > n4v_disp.sys BSOD and for vista, it recovers the driver but says nvlddmmkm.dll stopped working.

possible causes

ram, ran 17 passes memtest, left it all night and half a day running 0 errors ( pfewww ) overheating, well got that sorted as mentioned above.
i tried messing with memory speeds and fsb speeds, as my gpu has gddr3 memory wich could conflict with my ram.. but then again in single gpu it has none errors..
maybe it could be psu, but i dont wanna spend my money to quickly it just might be a driver conflict,

sooo please look into my minidump

thanks in advance

is there anyone that can read my pervious posted minidump ? much appreciated if do, im still wondering what info is in there..

update, out of frustration i bought myself a new power supply, thinking it might be underpowering.

installed a antec TruePower Quattro 850W

4 12volt lines, all with 25Amps according to labels on the box and power supply.

both geforce 9600 have now there own 12 volt line ( rail )
other 2 lines are cpu motherboard and rest of hardware.

guess what, it didnt helped :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back