Bucheck Codes - Random Reboots - Help Analysing please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisGaudenzi

Good evening everyone.

First time poster here... looking for some assistance!! I have been getting blue screens starting a month ago. They were very infrequent (maybe 1 every week) and now I had 5 today (hopefully I can finish this post)! I have not installed anything or even downloaded anything - I am VERY careful about these things...

I have seen it can be RAM, overheating, or a bad driver. I also have downloaded the Win XP Pro System Tools to check the DMP files, but this is just a both of hex stuff to me!! Can someone please help if I list the BugCheck Codes here?? I will attach the DMP files as well.

Here are the bug checks:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804e7415). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120605-03.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xeb4fb614, 0xb628c968, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120605-02.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x80629fd9, 0xec696314, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120605-01.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x88aa0228, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8051e0bc). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120405-02.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x0001a07b, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804f8c19). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120405-01.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x00440018, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x805001f9). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini112805-01.dmp.

I am not sure if this is related, but I also just started having Send/Recieve issues with Outlook as well. Just one account in there... Keeps saying "out of memory or system resources" for that one account. Odd.

Can anyone tell if this is a Driver issue or something else? I have seen some posts elsewhere about NVidia drivers. I use this as my display adapter. I am running an ASus motherboard.

Any thoughts here?? ANYTHING would be appreciated. I will even send the person that figures this out for me so $$ for the help.

Thanks and look forward to replies....

Dennis

These crashes are all over the place. Pointing to RAM, to ntoskrnl.exe, to symevent.sys, and ks.sys.

For symevent.sys, this is Symantec, you could try removing it as a temporary test, or better yet, get something good like AVG.

For ks.sys, update your sound drivers. Or as a temp test, disable your sound alltogether and see if it helps.

For ntoskrnl.exe, this is a core part of Windows, make sure you are virus free and spyware free, then do all your windows updates, if any. Also try clicking Start-Run and type "SFC /SCANNOW" and hit <enter>. You will need your XP CD for this.

Go and download and create the ISO for "memtest86". Easy to find online. Boot off that and let it run about 5 passes, could be a LONG test.

Hope that helps.

How to determine bug check codes & 2 new ones...

Thanks for the info. I updated video and sound drivers last night. Got another blue screen in the middle of the night at 7am. Just got another one a few minutes ago. They are completely random. Sometimes when doing lots of stuff and sometimes sleeping!!

I ran the Prime95 test and it failed the "lots of RAM" one and passed the others.

Two new Bug Check Codes:

(12:45am - few mintues ago) The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x88e02564, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80516567). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120805-01.dmp.

(7:25am yest morning) The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf905fc1, 0xf4964fc0, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120705-01.dmp.

I am going to run MemTest tomorrow to see what happens there.

The main thing here (and I think MANY will benefit from this info) is how did you know know that these bug check codes were the aspects of my computer you stated? I would love to know to be able to check out myself. Did you see this from the DMP files or the Bug check codes?

Let me know and thank you for the asistance!!

Dennis

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree with Vigilante, that you most likely have a ram problem.

You can find out how to read minidumps by checking out this short tutorial HERE

You can also check the meaning of bugcheck codes HERE and HERE

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

RAM on the way... Couple other errors now.

Hi.

Couple new errors. I just got new RAM - its en route. Not 100% sure that is it. I thought that it might be an overheating problem, so I shut off my pc overnight and just booted it up again. BSOD after 3 minutes.

Here are some of the latest errors:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x88d54f88, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8051e0bc). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120905-02.dmp.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0x00000034, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804f8c19). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini120905-01.dmp.

DMP files attached. I have seen another error as well:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D.

That took me here:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 11
Source: Disk
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

Sooo.... I am going to drop in new ram. Does anything think that this could be something different though??? I am really thinking driver issue, but where??

Thanks for help ONCE AGAIN!

Dennis

One minidump crashes with memory corruption. Faulty ram?

The other minidumps crash at you Symantec/Norton security programme.

Do yourself a favour and get rid of this crap, and get a decent antivirus programme such as the free AVG antivirus programme, and the free Sygate personal firewall.

Regards Howard :)

Process

Thanks for the help. Can you tell me the simple process you followed topin point that those errors were a result of Norton and RAM? If I know that process, I can simply troubleshoot this myself I think... I am getting close!! I am gonna get this stupid error!!!

THANK YOU and have a great weekend.

Dennis

RAM Checked...

I ran Memtest86 on my computer for a few hours. 5 passes, no errors. Ran the SFC /SCANNOW as well.

Have not seen a BSOD (yet) but will keep looking for an error or something that states some driver is faulty, etc...

If not RAM, any ideas anyone?? Software, but where to start looking? I have a feeling it is NOT Norton since I have been running it for months with no errors - but maybe one of the last updates screwed something up.

Replaced all my fans too to rule out over heating. Open to other suggestions...

THANKS!

Dennis

Well the RAM could have been the biggest thing, hopefully you won't crash anymore.

The crashes from the Norton and Windows files could have been caused by RAM as well. Because ANY program with core drivers that received bad data from RAM could have caused a BSOD.

I would say clear out your Windows error logs, then keep watch on them for any more errors pointing to other things.

3 more BSoD today...

Dropping in new RAM tonight - should have it today. Even going up to 2 gig. I got 3 more of these stupid blue screens today... SO ODD. Sometimes I can work for hours and hours - FINE. Then, 2 or 3 in a few minutes. Just makes no sense... Is this common of anything anyone has seen before with a reason why?

Attached are the DMP files from today... I will install new RAM tonight and see what happens... Anything in these files that points to something else?

THANKS AS USUAL!

Dennis

One minidump crashes at NTFS.sys, and a bugcheck of 24.

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

The other two minidumps crash at ntkrnlpa.exe. This is a Windows system file.
One has a bugcheck of 0A, while the other has a bugcheck of 7F.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Regards Howard :)

Solution Found!!

Since nobody ever seems to post final solutions to these questions, I hope that everyone that finds this posts can be assisted by it.

My error was BAD RAM. The ram tested FINE with MEMTEST. It FAILED Prime95 though. I did all the things suggested and still got BSoD's. Changed the RAM, NOT A SIMPLE ONE SINCE.

So, that was MY solution. I would say that you would see other consisent errors if it is not RAM. My errors were all over... If you are getting BSoD's, save yourself some time and analyze the MiniDMP files yourself. Download and install WinDBG from Microsoft. Simple to use and tells you the exactly where error came from (although may not 100% be the true cause as with my case). First thing you should do if getting BSoD's, sign up for Microsoft UPDATE if you do not already... This may clear things up. See above posts for other helpful hints.

Remember... just b/c an error APPEARS to be coming from a driver, etc.., does not mean it is actually from that driver! That may just be the driver that was the trigger for the true error so it means nothing.

Thank you to everyone that helped me troubleshoot. This was BY FAR the best and most friendly site. Best of luck out there!

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back