Budget AMD Athlon 64 & Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spetznaz24

My K7t turbo2 bit the dust, so im looking for a new a64 cpu, mobo and ram
Can anyone recommend any budget mobo. Im not sure which chipset I want, Via or nforce? which is better and more stable? i found a via mobo on newegg,

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-127-178&DEPA=0

and a MSI K8N Neo-FSR Socket 754 Motherboard on outpost.com
which of these is better? i read somewhere that socket 754 is disconinued, is this true?
Im pretty much set on my cpu, it will be a64 2800+
as for the ram, ill get some kingston 512mb pc3200 value ram, what do you guys think of this combination

Go for AMD64-3000 in Socket-939 format, Winchester core. Same PC3200 ram, but buy it in pairs, e.g. 2x 256 or 2x 512MB, Kingston, Crucial(=Micron), Corsair 'Value' or Samsung. That way you can use the Dual Channel memory option.
Mobos with AGP are cheaper and will still last a few good years. SLI is overrated sofar and too expensive for daily use.
nVidia chipsets are flavour of the month, but the VIA KT800 comes very close.
Check MSI, Abit, Gigabyte or Asus for mobos. Stay away from ECS.
Socket-754 are bargain-basement already, to be discontinued.

first of all realblackstuff is absolutely right,you should follow his advice.get a 939 pin for a good performance increase today and a possibility to upgrade the cpu in the future.Nvidia's nforce 4 is the latest and the most popular chipset for amd 939,it has great features and perfromance-7.1 audio onboard,gigabit lan,sata and nv raid support,spdif and eax support(depending on the mobo),4 ram slots,specail nvidia security feature like a secure networking engine,firewall and ofcourse the pci-express slots.while via is a cheaper alternative it can match the nforce on the feature and support but might not be as reliable.

I would go with a AMD64-3000 or 3200 because it is the best price if you buy something more then 3200 it's going to cost more then it's werth. :hotbounce

Socket 754 boards are a good idea only if you do not plan on upgrading. They tend to be cheaper, but you have no upgrade path for the future.

I got a S754 Board because I know I won't be getting a new cpu for a long time.

If you want to expand in the future, RBS is right, go for 939.

im gonna go with 754 because its much cheaper, i wont be doing any upgrades, because in 2 years upgrading just the cpu willl be useless, as the other compoents will be bottlenecking,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back