Budget Graphics Card upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiedude

I am looking to upgrade my FX5500 256mb graphics card because i think it is pants!!

My shortlist includes:
geforce 6200 (£30) and possibly 6600 (if i get lucky on price)
ATI Radeon 9550 (£28) and possibly 9800 (price permitting)

I am inclined to go the nvidia route as that is what i am used to. What would you reccommend? Is it worth me bothering or should i wait until i can afford a 7800GS (might take a while!!)

My price limit is around £40 (i should be able to sell my current card for around £30) and i am limited to AGP cards.

Thanks in advance

:grinthumb

What do you need the card for? Just regular computing, or games? If it is games, what games are you trying to run?

If you are into the newer games, I'd look at nothing less than these cards:

1. nvidia 6600GT
2. ATI 9800pro
3. nvidia 6600

in that order.

Good luck!

hey there about the nvidia geforece 6600

ffgrehey fellas i see ur on digussion on graphics cards id just like to add that i baught a pny geforece 6600le with 256 ram on just before christmas, to be onest it is a good card i wanted it for games (sniper elite) wicked game like but i had some problems with the game or card i was gettin the stop error messeges. i kinda sorted thsi problem tho , just thought id let u know about this. fretti. ps im a new member

DonNagual said:
What do you need the card for? Just regular computing, or games? If it is games, what games are you trying to run?

If you are into the newer games, I'd look at nothing less than these cards:

1. nvidia 6600GT
2. ATI 9800pro
3. nvidia 6600

in that order.

Good luck!
Mainly for general computing but hoping such an upgrade wud give me a temporary boost over my current card until i can afford something better.

Ideally i would go for the 7800GS or 6800GT but out of my price range at the mo. Also don't want to fork out too much as i intend to upgrade to socket 939 and pci-e mobo at some point.

Would i see much improvement over the fx5500 if i went for say the 6200. Games wise i mostly play FarCry, Doom 3 and just recently RFOnline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back