Buffalo hard drive not recognised by MacBook

I have a three-year-old Buffalo 1TB external hard drive. It has always worked fine and hasn't been used very often (once every few months for back-ups). It contains thousands of files totalling maybe a few hundred G. This week my Macbook refuses to recognise the existence of the hard drive. The hard drive has power, is motoring, but there is no icon on the macbook, nothing in disk utility etc, and no sign it exists. I have tried both the USB ports available on the macbook. The hard drive has a 1 SATA drive. The macbook is running OSX 10.5.8. Is this a software update issue or is this a self-destruct thing?

Doesn't sound good. What happens when you connect it to a different computer?

The enclosure could have died and left the actual drive itself ok. I'd consider opening it and pulling out the drive itself and placing it in a dock.

I hope your data isn't gone, but this needs to be a lesson to everyone, never keep important data in only one location.

Hi there,
You can also try using a different USB cable or to connect it to a different machine. It's also a good idea to run the manufacturer's diagnostic tool.
Good luck!

Back