buffer overrun detected MS_Update\MS_Services

By crazylady
Mar 5, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello realblackstuff. I followed your directions until I got to Taskmanager. what did you mean by "try to stop it". I clicked on "startup" and unchecked MS_Update, applied and then went back to normal mode. this a.m. when I logged on to windows, popup immediately appeared. Went back to msconfig and saw that checkmark was there again. Went to google to look for info on MS_Update. found that unchecking only removes it at that time, but when you log on again it will appear. Found a site that sent me to Cnet which mentioned Anti-SPy.Info.1.6. I downloaded it , found MS_Update and quarantined it. tomorrow I will see if popup appears. Can't find out today, as it only appears on first log on of the day!!(strange) Anti-Spy shows all programs and their level of danger, etc. If you are not aware of it and wish to peruse, you can, but I could not explain it intensively. I can be a "dumb dora" at times, but a pit bull when I am trying to find out anything. Talk later!
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Press ctrl/alt/del and in Taskmanager try to STOP:
    Press the 3 keys, marked "ctrl", "alt" and "del" at the same time, and on the new screen select the "Taskmanager" button, select the tab "Processes" and click on one of the indicated program-names (if it is in that taskmanager process-list), then click on the button "End Process". Repeat for all the names in the given list.

If you are familiar with Regedit, do a Find for Runonce (there are 2 of them). Check in there, as well as in the Run and Runserviceskeys near them for any MS_Update/MS_Services referrals. If found (in the right-side window) rightclick them and select Delete and confirm.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.