Buffer Overrun & Other Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a few computer problems and was hoping someone here could help me out.

1st: I cannot access control panel, internet explorer and alot of other programs on my computer. I click on their Icons and my computer will either freeze up or do absolutely nothing.

2nd: When typing in a search at Yahoo or Google I get a buffer overrun message and my AOL shuts down.

3rd: When burning Cd's my computer crashes.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Check your system for viruses etc.

Maybe try a system restore to a point before your problems began.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thats the first thing I tried was to run a Virus Scan. I used Pc-cillin and one that came with AOL, they both came back with "0 Viruses".

How does the System Restore work? Does that mean I will loose everything I have downloaded recently?

See HERE for an explanation for system restore.

Any of your programmes etc, that you have installed/downloaded won`t work if the system restore point you choose is before you installed these programmes.

However, you can always reinstall them.

Regards Howard :)

You could also try creating a new user account,and see if the problem persists in that one.

I tried System Restore and it could not complete because it says my system has not changed.
I also tried creating a new user account and when I click to open it it never opens.

Anything else I can try?

run several anti-trojan horse programs like spybot and ad-aware, and ewido (All free)

I don't know if this would make a difference, but also my computer will sometimes shut down while Im in the middle of something and I have to jiggle the plug around to get it to come back on. The back of my computer gets hot, even if its on just a couple hours.

if your computer gets real hot, the thermal shutdown circuit will turn it off to protect your motherboard. Sounds like you have a bad fan internally, or the ventilation is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back