Bug in Microsoft Edge causes PDFs to print incorrectly

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

If you use Microsoft Edge, you might want to be mindful when you are working with and printing PDFs. Several users have reported that when trying to print PDFs what is printed does not match the original.

In a Microsoft Edge issue report (#11896203) from May 4, a user complained that the Edge browser was displaying his PDF correctly, but when he tried to print, the numbers get jumbled. He provided two PDFs to Microsoft as an example. The first was his original which looks like a chart with each field clearly labeled in numerical order (0123456). The second is a PDF he produced by using "Print to PDF." It is the same chart, but the numbers are all incorrect (1144477). While the renumbering does not look random, there is no discernible pattern to the numbering (see animation below).

Additionally, the labels in the chart also shifted positions, so the bug is not only affecting enumeration but content as well. This problem could prove quite annoying, to say the least. Bleeping Computer even posits that it could be dangerous.

“[This issue is] incredibly dangerous, as this could lead to customers sending incorrect invoices, the printing of construction plans with wrong measurements, or inaccurate metering of crucial, life-saving medicine, just to name a few of the most dangerous scenarios.”

While this statement is a bit overblown since most professionals would double check their numbers, it can still be inefficient and costly.

Matthias I., who initially reported the bug, stated that “Printed content depends on selected printer, on printer settings, and on used computer.”

He also indicated that he was able to workaround the problem by using a Xerox copier.

The issue has been assigned to Microsoft techs, and they are currently working on a fix. In the meantime, it might be prudent to use Acrobat Reader or another non-Microsoft browser if you work with PDFs.

Top image by Windows Central

Permalink to story.

You guys are great! I had a cheap poke at M$ (as Skidmarks is fond of calling them) at the end of the article but decided against leaving it in. Jose and I had discussed whether my jab was factual or just public perception. I told him I was going to remove it because I knew someone in the forum "would say it for me." LOL

You guys never disappoint. XD

A bug in M$ Edge? Surprising. I thought M$ Edge was the bug itself.

C'mon now, don't go for the low hanging fruit. You can do better than that!

Like how amazing it is, that they even managed to screw up PDF printing with their browser, of all things!
I'm no expert, but really now, just how old is the technology to print PDFs? How is it possible for M$ to get THAT wrong?

...Or did they just give up and decided to go for maximum meme value, with their browsers? If it's gotta be good for something...

You guys are great! I had a cheap poke at M$ (as Skidmarks is fond of calling them)
Him and everyone else here.
at the end of the article but decided against leaving it in. Jose and I had discussed whether my jab was factual or just public perception. I told him I was going to remove it because I knew someone in the forum "would say it for me." LOL
Well, I've learned here at Techspot, that, "if you want anything right, do it yourself"!

With that thought in mind, here goes; "Edge isn't a bug, it's M$' new browser, now available in suppository".

You mean that its not printing ads instead? WOW interesting. I bet it is sending all printed docs to Microsoft for ... you know telemetry purposes and so that they can fix this "bug"

C'mon now, don't go for the low hanging fruit. You can do better than that!

Like how amazing it is, that they even managed to screw up PDF printing with their browser, of all things!
I'm no expert, but really now, just how old is the technology to print PDFs? How is it possible for M$ to get THAT wrong?

...Or did they just give up and decided to go for maximum meme value, with their browsers? If it's gotta be good for something...
"C'mon now, don't go for the low hanging fruit. You can do better than that!"
I like that response. I'm getting on now son, I don't make unnecessary work for myself these days. If the fruit is within arm's reach, that's what I pluck. I no longer run to the garage to fetch the step ladder, I'll leave that for others to do then swipe their bounty. With age, wisdom (read sly or shrewd).

1. So Edge is edging out? I can't help...

2. Seems like Edge PDF module is getting a life of his own. I knew Skynet would come from MS...

I mean, what are the alternatives? From Apple? That'd be the day! Sure, they'd make lovely terminators, but the chances of one actually managing to navigate to my front door are slim.

Or Linux. An open-source skynet is the best skynet, I say. You can even fork the project and make your own!

I mean, what are the alternatives? From Apple? That'd be the day! Sure, they'd make lovely terminators, but the chances of one actually managing to navigate to my front door are slim.

Or Linux. An open-source skynet is the best skynet, I say. You can even fork the project and make your own!

I think Apple just release a Terminator, it's called Iphone 7, it terminates your bank account.

Back