Build 10565 ISO Released, Perfect Time for Fresh Install

TheBigFatClown

I want to install Build 10565 .ISO fresh on my system. How do I make sure I can do this and retain my "Digital Entitlement" rights to the Windows 10 OS? If I do a fresh install I fear I may lose something on the drive which says I am legit.

Or is linked to the Microsoft email account somehow. How can I confirm this before I proceed?

If you signed into MS Account, that is all you need to do to activate your next install. Your MS Account will have record of all machines until you remove them from your account.

I think I will be okay. There was talk of being able to type your product key directly now since the latest build releases. I wonder if I should snatch my product key and save it just to be more secure.

I am not sure if I even have a product key.

Is there a way to "see on the screen" that this computer is linked. By logging into a Microsoft website?

I did use a tool to get my key after the upgrade, but then I never needed it while doing a clean install. Activation was automatic using MS Account for Windows login.

Ohh yeah I was forgetting about the changes in the new build using Win8 and Win7 keys.

All done, pretty smooth. It puts the same product key back in automatically for the user I guess.

Edit: I think there is a bug in this build or .ISO of 10565 of Windows 10. The /users/(email name)/ only used the first 5 letters of my email name on the hard disk.

Last edited:
It did that for my 10240 build install, using only "cliff" for user name.

From my initial research it seems this is by design. *face palm*.

<del>Microsoft is at it again. It also seems you absolutely cannot create a local account anymore without first giving up your email address or a telephone number. I don't remember this hardball approach before.

This monster is relentless. I think they only take steps backwards to let users cool off, then when they think its safe to tread ahead, they start up again.

I know that you can create an account and switch back to a local one. But it's ridiculous that you can not go straight to what you want.</del> How do I get HTML tags to work in here dammit!

Okay, I figured it out. On the screen where it appears to be forcing you to create a new Microsoft account, there is a link at the bottom to bypass doing that. So, essentially buried in the OS and offered as a way to create a local account only after jumping through some hoops.

Also, figured out how to get the /users/(name) that I want. Create a local account only first and you get the actual name you want. Then give it administrator rights, Later on, you can then "link up" your Microsoft account to it again if you want.

I did this and then went back and deleted my 5 letter account.

Last edited:
Back