TechSpot

Build a server

By stuart1044
Nov 3, 2005
  1. Hi
    Im thinking of building my own server to run netware 6.5, any ideas as to what i will need

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,351   +622

Servers are built to handle workloads.
    number of concurrent users(CU)
    resources(R) used by each service on the server
    yields (simplistically) CU x R
    Typically, one is concerned with Memory, Disk I/O, and commuications bandwidth.

You mentioned Netware; is this primarily a print/file server?

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You need computer parts.. You can use any PC you like. If it serves something to other computers then it is a server.

If you want to build a "true" server then you have to buy server components. A server chassis, server power supply, a server motherboard, SCSI etc.. You are really better off buying a ready made box if you are asking this kind of questions.

4. stuart1044

stuart1044 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for your responses, i really dont know anything about servers and what they contain. I would prefer to buy parts etc. than buy a ready built one tho

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,351   +622

yes it can be fun to 'do it yourself', but as you say 'i really dont know anything about servers', then Nodsu's advice
    You are really better off buying a ready made box​
    is correct.

You may learn a lot, but the lesson is going to get expensive with mistakes and lots of time.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.