Build your own computer case with the Aerocool Dream Box

By Shawn Knight
Feb 23, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Selecting the perfect PC case can often seem like an exercise in futility. While there's no shortages of options to choose from, finding one that appeals to your taste, accommodates your hardware and physically fits where you want to use it isn't as easy as it sounds. Worse yet, all of that hard work may go out the window if you move, switch to a watercooling setup or change form factors.

If you've ever found yourself in this situation (and you like to build things), the Dream Box from Aerocool may be worth a look.

The Dream Box is a DIY case in the truest form. The starter kit comes with 188 components – an assortment of joints, pipes, brackets, metal beams, an I/O port, PSU bracket and more – that allow you to build a chassis that's limited only by your imagination.

In fact, you don't even have to build a computer case as Aerocool suggests all sorts of things such as coat hangers, toys, a table, lamps and more. Think of it as a grown-up version of an Erector Set.

While the kit offers a ton of flexibility, it notably doesn't include any sort of panels. If you've got young kids or curious pets, this could certainly pose a problem. I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to carve up some custom panels but of course, that requires extra time, money and effort.

The Aerocool Dream Box retails for $150.

Permalink to story.

2. Technician

Technician TS Addict Posts: 677   +113

An erector set made of cheap aluminum and plastic connectors, great.
  3. noel24

noel24 TS Maniac Posts: 299   +152

$150 of screws and connectors You could probably find in a local Castorama shop. Awsome.
    psycros likes this.
  4. Technician

No kidding it's worse than people trying to sell crappy leggo cases online.
  5. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 858   +306

But it is all about distinguishing yourself from the competitors! Dream box - this dream gives me nightmares
  6. GregPullman

GregPullman TS Rookie

I guess if you had a box to start... Then added the internal hardware....
    Panels could been sectional allowing a diversity.
  7. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,599   +411

Well, it happened. Tech companies have peaked and are officially out of new ideas.
  8. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,098   +523

This is going to be another failed BYO computer case. This is the most barebones kit I've ever seen. I hope they are selling this at entry level case pricing.
    psycros likes this.
  9. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

I thought building 2 computers was a challenge. Now you have to build the case too.
  10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

That would be a "no they are not". At $150 I would expect two cases.
  11. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,098   +523

I think it would be best to compare this to Lego sets. For the price of the 1 1/2 of the largest lego sets you are getting one of those small $20 packs. One that only comes with the most basic pieces to top it off too.
    MikeSmithFL and cliffordcooley like this.
  12. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

You should at least include barebones panels with the blueprints for people to make their own...
    MikeSmithFL likes this.
  13. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,436   +37

14. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TS Addict Posts: 224   +46

Now that's a lot of screwing.
    Raoul Duke likes this.
  15. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,293   +660

And I'm just sitting here waiting for the day that all PC components plug into a case like NES cartridges. Why are we still using bare-bones design tech from the 80's with fully exposed circuit boards??
  16. Technician

A lot of the new mainboards are covered.
    jauffins likes this.
  17. Matti

Matti TS Rookie

Screw this!111
  18. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

Probably because it makes enthusiasts feel smarter? *braces for impact*
    No, but really though, dont tell me people would be nearly as impressed with the hobby if it were just cartridges, and thats part of the whole appeal to alot of people
  19. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,327   +1,930

It looks as though it was designed with dust filtration as a priority...
    B00kWyrm likes this.
  20. jauffins

jauffins TS Enthusiast Posts: 85   +24

I don't understand the hype behind a motherboard with a shield. I recently built an X99 system, and the Asus motherboard I initially chose (for reviews, specs, etc) I changed up because the "motherboard armor" stuff is ugly as sin.
    B00kWyrm likes this.
  21. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,612   +492

Not sure if serious or some kind of joke, of wait $150 is a very serious price for some pieces of extruded aluminum and injection molded plastic connectors. The cost to produce something like this is astronomically low, if only the price reflected that, $50, that's about the most this should cost. No fans, no panels, no ability to manage the wires. And WTF? Are they seriously supporting the drives from only one side? With cheap plastic looking hose clamp things no less holding all the components to the frame?
  22. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,488   +666

I'm holding out for the Lego version!
    BlueDrake likes this.
  23. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 792   +216

If I had the money to buy the LEGOs I would so make a case out of them, but the amount of LEGOs needed makes my wallet scared.
  24. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,488   +666

flea markets, my boy ... lots and lots of flea markets and don't overlook those all too valuable yard sales!
  25. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 792   +216

I will take your advice and check them out, I want a LEGO case now.