TechSpot

Building a budget computer for a friend - which of these?

By Nirkon
Dec 16, 2008
  1. Hi again guys,

My friend he hasn't got a lot of money and its his birthday so his family and I are going to get some money together to build him a mid-range gaming computer.

I've concluded to two setups that are in the budget, I need some help though
    which one of these two will give him the better gaming experience?

He is gaming on a 19" monitor with a max resolution of 1280x1024 (he wants as much AA as he can).

1:
    AMD Athlon X2 5200+
    G31 based Asus M/B
    Palit 9600GT 512MB or Asus HD4670 1024MB

(All other specs the same)

2:
    Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200
    G31 based Gigabyte M/B
    Gigabyte HD4670 512MB

(All other specs the same, If you're interested in them, 2x1GB G.Skill 800MHZ, 160GB Sata2)

Thanks in advance guys!

2. FairCold

FairCold TS Rookie

i go for 2nd choice, but i prefer to use asus product for mobo(P5Q chipset) and gfx(HD 4850)

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The first system with the 9600GT is the better option. He should see very smooth performance at that resolution with AA.

4. Nirkon

Nirkon TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 202

Ok, so you think that an x2 5200+ with a 9600gt would give better frames per second than an e5200 with an hd4670?

That's pretty much my dilemma... since it is a budget I want it to last as much as it can to run games (game requirements wise), I guess a 9600GT would cover the gpu section, but then the cpu would probably be outdated.

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The vast majority of games are GPU-dependent anyways, so it will not make much of a difference what CPU you have.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.