Building a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chriss

Hi

Finally decided to start to build my new computer. I have the following parts already

Storm 700W PSU http://www.jeantech.com/storm.htm

A-Plus Twin Engine Gamers Case http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_A-Plus_Twin_Turbine_Gamers_Case.html#a980

Core 2 Duo E6700

Planning to buy the motherboard next, and im just wondering which one to get. I was going to get crossfire, but what about SLI? Want to get a directx 10 card as well.

Information on any other components would also be helpful

Thanks

Price Range

I would like it to be around £800, but will go up to around £1200 if needed

If you want a DirectX 10 card, it will have to be an Nvidia 8800 series card. Those are the only DX 10 cards available at the moment.

And why would you want one. Most new stuff is trouble. Do you want to be the test center for this company?

He's right about the new technology. Half the time it only gives you issues because the current programs aren't compatible with it.

I upgraded about two weeks ago and installed an XFX 8800 GTX and I haven't had any problems/conflicts with the card or software. It runs smooth as silk.

fenderzone1200 said:
are you looking to build amd or intell?
He said he wanted a Core 2, so by definition, Intel.

If you want DX10 you're going to have to stick with SLI, but there isn't any real reason to have SLI with a GeForce 8800 because they perform so well already that you wouldn't be able to take advantage.

I'd say get a different PSU... that one looks a bit suspicious because of the rated input voltage (allows almost no variation) and because it is listed as having 3 +12V rails and there are only 2 shown.

Im going to have to stick with the PSU for now, didn't notice this while buying it. At the moment, my only option, as mentioned,is to purchase an 8800 card if i want DX10 now, but i have been loyal to ATI over the years. Is it worth just waiting for an ATI card with DX10 to come out?

Also, saying i was going to buy a crossfire mobo, does this look any good? http://www.shop-com.co.uk/op/~Motherboard_P5w_Dh_Deluxe-prod-36712900-49146849?sourceid=309

or is there any other decent mobo for around this price?

Nope. Not to many, anyway.

It becomes useful to anybody, we can post 216 failed aMachines built since Marchl 2003 by serial number and all other data on the label. We have a database with model, date purchased, where purchased, power supply, cpu, cpu fan, motherboard model number, and many of the motherboard serial numbers.
All have failed motherboards. less than 40% have failed power supplies. Most other components such as memory, cpu, hard drive, and modem are still good.
We have nearly all of them... over 190 in our warehouse... complete. The others have parts such as hard drives and memory missing.
I will have to get the permission of the owners before I do this, because these are part of a planned class action.
All were out of warranty at time of failure, but not very far. As I recall, none were as old as three years.
There are surely thousands more.

case

Iv done some research in the past about that case and since it has two 250mm fans every one has said the case is so loud when u power it up it sounds like an airplane taking off. Its a cool looking case but your going to need that 700w PSU. So if your looking for a quite case this is the wrong one.

Asus Striker

I decided to get the Asus Striker mobo. I have just fitted it in, and conected all the cables. The only components i have is the cpu, mobo, case, psu, floppy and cd drive. Is there anything stopping me from just turning it on to see if it runs now? This may sound stupid, but im only new at building computers :)

Securing the Mobo

Also, does it matter what screws you use when securing the mobo. I used the onces that came with the case, but later found that there were two other types of screw.

Do you also have any RAM to add onto the board? Plus, did you get a graphics card already, too? I'm no expert either, but I figure those are also essential in getting your computer started. Like you, I just built mine a while back, so I'm hoping you have better luck getting it all booted up the first time.

As for the screws, I'm not too sure what kind of screws to call them. I just know that they're made specifically for the board.

As long as your screws are designed specifically for a motherboard, and you have the non conductive posts you should be ok there.
Did you use thermal paste as you installed the CPU?
If you do not yet have memory, nothing good will happen.
You should have power supply connected, and no cable plugs loose to allow unwanted electrical contact. Tie down other cables with cable ties or strong rubber bands. Your graphics card must be installed, along with one memory module. Of course, you have the power switch cables and jumpers connected? Right? There is still not much point in turning it on unless you have one bootable unit: floppy, flash with software installed, CD-R, or hard drive.
There is so much excitement in building your first computer that it is really quite useful to wait until you have thought through everything you have done one more time after a rest. Re-read the manual to assure you understand everything in it.
You are ready. If you are certain turning it on is the next step, and you have triple checked everything, you are ready. It is good to do one alone to be sure, then have friends watch the official turn-on. Too much laughter for a blank screen is not a good start.
Please tell us how it went.

Its going to be a couple of weeks before i receive all the parts, so i will just have to wait a while. The Thermal Compound was already on the bottom of the cpu heatsink, so that should be enough? With the screws, i could not find any screws that actually came with the mobo, only the ones that came with the case which, from looking at information at other sites, didn't seem to be the right ones, so im going to have to purchace some of them.
Thanks for all your help, and i will keep you posted on what happens with it. One final thing, what are people thoughts on the Asus Extreme Striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back