TechSpot

Building a gaming Laptop.

By kyleimageryx
Feb 6, 2006
  1. I think this is the right thread

As the title implies, I am trying to build a laptop from scratch. I want it to be like a gaming laptop, so.. i want it to handle my games well and play them really well.

What I ened help with is what kind of things should I buy, and when I have figured out what to buy, how to build it then. My budget is around 900 - 1500.

Thanks - ki

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,654   +323

Highly unlikely you can get a laptop that you can call a gaming laptop for that price. Its also just as unlikely you can build one yourself for that price. Higher end laptops from a major manufacturer are going to probably be cheaper than you can build one.

Maybe somebody will correct me, but I just don'tthink you'll be able to do what you want on that kind of a budget.

3. kyleimageryx

kyleimageryx TS Rookie Topic Starter

Really, is that so. Didnt know that.

Anyhow, can u name like the parts and stuff, and Ill see waht I can do with my budget.
    Cause I dont know what kind of parts I need for a laptop

4. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

hmm.. laptop parts are not as available as pc parts, and might be a bit too expensive for a single person to purchase, seperate or bundled, even if you find the shop to buy from.. and branded laptops (eg compaq, dells etc) usualy get their laptops mass produced by a manufacturing plant and then just rebadge them (hence why some laptops with different brands look/feel the same).
    however, you can get what tehy call "whiteboxed" units or something which is just the unit with parts, no os/progs installed or something.. but thats what i heard.... as far as how to aquire i wouldnt have a clue. but then again. i am writing this from the land of Oz, which is a few tech years/months behind the US... (industry wise i thinks)

i rekon its better off making a mini/shuttlepc or somthing and just lug a 17" screen with u.. or plug it into one of those portable lcds things like the ones for the car..... but then u'd need power.. lol...

edit: if you need a laptop with grunt i'd suggest the hp presomething zd800something.. cant recall the model.. its got a p4 chip running at 3.2GHz or 2.8, 512 mb ram (i think) lots of ports and such, 17" widescreen, 80-160gb hdd?? sorry i cant remember the specs exactly but its something like that.. on holidays from work so all that info's been shoved to the back of teh brain for now... :p :knock:

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

A Turion-64 or a Pentium-M running at ~2GHz will be faster for games then any Pentium 4, even an EE edition.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.