Building a gaming pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjhume

I play WoW and my current computer just isnt cutting it. I play WoW on low graphic quality, and I have absolutely terrible FPS. So I guess I'll build a new computer. What are some recomendations on parts to buy for a gaming pc? Something that isnt insane in price.

Or, should I just buy a complete gaming pc? If so, what all should I look for?

You will need to furnish a few more details if you want anything approaching a constructive answer. For instance....
Budget.
Location / Likely retail/etail purchase outlets.
What level of gaming you actually want to achieve.
The monitor/screen resolution will you likely be gaming at.
Whether the system will be used as an all-rounder (home theatre/multimedia, storage)
Will you be utilizing some componentry from your present build ?
What are your connectivity requirements ?
Do you need to factor an operating system and/or software into the build budget ?

There are already numerous threads on Techspot regarding ground-up system builds. I would suggest you peruse the latest threads and have a relatively clear idea of what end product you want to end up with.
If you cut-and-paste the bullet points from this thread starter- and your answers, along with your thoughts on what you want the build to accomplish then you will likely get replys of a more constructive nature that are better tuned to your requirements.

Budget.-Under $1500 total
Location / Likely retail/etail purchase outlets.-Frys Electronics, Best Buy, Online
What level of gaming you actually want to achieve.-Play WoW on higher graphic quality and good FPS
The monitor/screen resolution will you likely be gaming at.1080x1024
Whether the system will be used as an all-rounder (home theatre/multimedia, storage)- All Rounder, Ill use it mostly for gaming, and web surfing, school papers, i tunes etc.
Will you be utilizing some componentry from your present build ? -Not likely
What are your connectivity requirements ?
Do you need to factor an operating system and/or software into the build budget-No

I guess you gave up on your previous thread and just want to get a whole new PC. Your old PC if upgraded a bit could improve WoW but I'm sure it won't compete compared to a new PC. You give a budget of $1500 which is a lot for just playing World of Warcraft and some side multitasking. We should be able to find something more suitable for less if you wish. As Zero pointed you really should read through https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic119618.html and check out TechSpots PC buying guide which should give you some ideas on pricing https://www.techspot.com/guides/buying/. Also did you want a new monitor too or reusing your current one? As it would be pointless to get a top of the line card then have a monitor that doesn't go higher then lets say 1280 x1024. And are you limited to retail outlets around your area only? Or is shopping online an option too (like NewEgg)?

Yeah ive got a good enough monitor, just recently bought, I can buy online as well. thanks for the help, ill look into what you guys have said

Just to play WoW on high settings you wouldn't need to spend $1500. However, if you're looking to build a machine that would handle all games at maxed out settings / resolution then I would recommend:

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz - $199.99
MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 - $159.99
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 - $104.99
XFX Radeon HD 5870 1GB - $419.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - $99.99
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout - $79.99
Seagate Barracuda 1TB - $79.99
Sony Optiarc AD-7241S-0B - $26.99

Total - $1171.92

Nice build Rit.
If the OP is looking for a little future proofing (as much as any tech is future proofed!) I'd maybe also look at the Gigabyte P55A-UD3 ( $135 inc shipping) for it's SATA 6Gb and USB 3 connectivity, or the P55A-UD3P ($149.99 + $7.87 shipping with the better quality audio codec. The only real downside of the boards is hobbled Crossfire (PCIe x16, x4), or no Crossfire option if USB 3/SATA 6Gb is enabled. Unlikely to be much of a factor when you already have overkill in the graphics department (HD 5870)

The only real downside of the boards is hobbled Crossfire (PCIe x16, x4),

D, the board has a PCIE X4 slot, however the two PCIE graphics slots run at x16/X8 in V 2.0. and X8 is not hobbled at all for a CF setup. :)

D, the board has a PCIE X4 slot, however the two PCIE graphics slots run at x16/X8 in V 2.0. and X8 is not hobbled at all for a CF setup. :)

I don't think we're talking about the same board are we?
The MSI has 2 PCIe x16 ( x16, 0 or x8, x8) and a PCIe x16 (at x4), but both the Gigabyte boards are a single PCIe x16 plus a PCIe x16 (running at x4). The other slots should be PCIe x1 and PCI.
If USB 3/ SATA 6Gb are used then the primary PCIe x16 slot defaults to x8 and the PCIe x16 (at x4 ) becomes unusable.

I don't think we're talking about the same board are we?
The MSI has 2 PCIe x16 ( x16, 0 or x8, x8) and a PCIe x16 (at x4), but both the Gigabyte boards are a single PCIe x16 plus a PCIe x16 (running at x4). The other slots should be PCIe x1 and PCI.
If USB 3/ SATA 6Gb are used then the primary PCIe x16 slot defaults to x8 and the PCIe x16 (at x4 ) becomes unusable.

possibly not, this is the one I thought he was speaking of

http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1880#

You give a budget of $1500 which is a lot for just playing World of Warcraft and some side multitasking

on point. i know nothing about WoW but i do know the engine is dated and requires barely any power to run by today's standards. a 2.0ghz dual core processor and 9600GT/HD4770 should run that game like a dream. buying a 1156 board w/ an i5 or i7 processor is way overkill imho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back