Building a gaming PC

By spidey2442
Jan 12, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it possible to build a decent gaming PC for $500 dollars ?

from scratch?

not including the price of an OS, Monitor, Keydoard, Mouse, Speakers
  2. Cartz

Cartz Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

Pretty much no...

You're looking at at least 700-800 bucks for an entry level system. If you had an optical drive and a hard drive to carry over and you only had to worry about central components, 500 bucks would be doable. But it wouldn't be a hot rig by any stretch...

Basically you need

PCI-E Mobo (Socket 939 or a comparable board from that 'other' company)
    1Gb of PC3200 (or greater)
    PCI-E Video Card (6600/X600 or greater)
    Entry Level Processor (Athlon 64 3000 or comparable)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Thats gonna ring in around $500, maybe a bit more.

You can price it on Newegg if you want, but I think thats around $500ish. You'd still need

HDD (80Gb, 7200 RPM 8Mb Cache, or greater)
    Optical Drive (DVD required)
    Case/PSU (400W or greater, make sure it has good ventilation)
    120mm/80mm Fans for front and back of case
    --------------------------------------------------------
    $200-$300 (a bit more if you want a stlyish case)
  3. spartanslayer

spartanslayer Newcomer, in training Posts: 464

4. LipsOfVenom

LipsOfVenom Newcomer, in training Posts: 256

mmhmm..it's difficult with only $500...wats the popular games nowadays...COD and BF..a 6600 GT won't cut it on these...very laggy...there are $180 X800's on newegg though...so that's nice...1 gig of DDR2 RAM is only about $80 and CPU/motherboard combo's socket 939 are only $250 from tigerdirect.com so that's already more than $500
  5. flavin

flavin Newcomer, in training Posts: 110

well if he doesnt mind playing games on there minimums he could get a card lower than the 6 series. i have a 5700 le (70$) and it plays cod2 dx7 maxes and bf2 lows w/o anylag. but ur gonna need more than 500 especially if u dont have anything at all except that 500
  6. spidey2442

spidey2442 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Nah don't wanna play them at the minimum...

Just have to put up more cash I guess...

But a definite plus is I can use the HD out of this PC, and put the 40G HD I have laying around back in this one (Going to give this PC to my son)

So I will still need :
    case/with power sup
    multiple fans
    DVD Drive
    Vid card
    Cpu/MB
    1GB ram

That about right?
    or did I forget anything?
  7. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TechSpot Maniac Posts: 378

This is my setup and I am happy with it. Now I won't be playing Fear on max settings but I play it on med with no lag and doom 3 on high with 40 fps.

Amd Athlon 3000+ $130
    Nforce3 Mobo $57
    2 x 512MB DDR400 $70
    80GB HardDrive $60
    Case with 2 fans $45
    PSU 400watt $40
    DVD-RW $40
    Radeon 9600xt $65
    ------------------------
    $507
    Now the Radeon 9600xt is a bit dated so you might want to put up another $80 or so for a 6600gt. I hope this helped.
  8. compres

compres Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

I can only say that if I were you I would save some extra money for a nice hard drive. A fast hard drive can improve loading times a lot.

If your drive is at least 7200rpm and 8mb of buffer you should be ok. But basically dont underestimate the importance of a fast hard drive.
  9. PaulWuzHere

PaulWuzHere TechSpot Maniac Posts: 378

faster load times are great but i would perfer to be able to play a game on anything but lowest. but yes a faster hard driver like a 10,000 RPM Hard Driver would be very nice.
  10. Sean

Sean Newcomer, in training Posts: 131

Ironically, you dont need a 10k rpm drive to notice "considerable" performace changes in that system. Just stick with a good 7200rpm drive. No need to spend over 100$ for a 36 gb drive.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.