Building a New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDIsTheBest010

hi all-

i'm going to be building a new Pc and wanted to know if this looked good. i will be using it for web surfing, office stuff, photo editing etc.

AMD Sempron 2.0 GHZ 1600 MHZ bus
AMD socket 754 motherboard
1GB crucial memory PC3200 DDR 400
17Inch LCD
Windows XP Home
100GB HD
DVD/CD-RW drive
Nvidia Graphics
standard keyboard and mouse
basic speakers

tell me what u think!

I think it would be better to get a Socket 939 motherboard and maybe an Athlon instead of a Sempron. Its not much more expensive if not the same.

If all you EVER do is browse the internet, write documents etc, then a sempron is a great choice. You'd be the type of person that these CPUs were designed for in the first place.

But the 754 motherboard, I am leaning towards steering you away from it. Not that you wouldn't be happy with it now (you may be) but that it will severely limit your upgrade options in the future.

How much photo editing? Just a little, here and there?

What graphics card will you be getting?

How about the power supply? (Don't just get any old generic brand. You will regret it)

get 2 sticks of 512 mb ram. and i really wouldnt buy winxp since its free for me.........................................also if its cheaper to get 2 hds instead of a 100gb hd, i would get 2 40 gb hds...

0009 said:
get 2 sticks of 512 mb ram. and i really wouldnt buy winxp since its free for me.........................................also if its cheaper to get 2 hds instead of a 100gb hd, i would get 2 40 gb hds...

how do you get Windows for free????????
i was planning on using two 512 sticks so that I can dual-channel

DonNagual said:
If all you EVER do is browse the internet, write documents etc, then a sempron is a great choice. You'd be the type of person that these CPUs were designed for in the first place.

But the 754 motherboard, I am leaning towards steering you away from it. Not that you wouldn't be happy with it now (you may be) but that it will severely limit your upgrade options in the future.

How much photo editing? Just a little, here and there?

What graphics card will you be getting?

How about the power supply? (Don't just get any old generic brand. You will regret it)

i do very simple photo editing with photoshop
the power suply that i found was a 430watt basic PS

Well the idea of duel-chaneling is gone, because 754 don't support duel-channel that's why you should upgrade to the Athlon 3000.

CrossFire851 said:
This CPU will be better than the Seperon and it is also 64-bit so it can run tommorows apps.

There are 64-bit semprons.

I think if youre doing simple computing a sempron is a good CPU to get.

CrossFire851 said:
Well the idea of duel-chaneling is gone, because 754 don't support duel-channel that's why you should upgrade to the Athlon 3000.

my current system with an AMD Sempron 3100+with 754 has dual channel support, when I added 2x512 stcks, after i strted the computer up, the bios menu came up, and said "dual channel memory has been enabled"

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
my current system with an AMD Sempron 3100+with 754 has dual channel support, when I added 2x512 stcks, after i strted the computer up, the bios menu came up, and said "dual channel memory has been enabled"

As far as I know, 754 does not support dual channel ram. Only the 939 and SOME socket A motherboards do (for AMD).

What is your motherboard's make/model?

the documentation that came with the computer sadi that it was a 754, maybe it was a typo but when i added the two 512 sticks th bios said that dual channel had been enabled

I know it 754 run the runs 64-bit cpus, 939 is it's successor.

What I am trying to say is does it even run 32-bit, but with resonable thinking.... No!!!

AMDIsTheBest010. Please don`t open more than one thread for this subject. Thanks.

I have deleted the other thread.

Regards Howard :)

I would suggest getting a skt 939 processor fo future upgrades as everyone has suggested.

I have a skt 754 amd athlon 64. I am going to have trouble upgrading lol as everything is for the new mobos and also the graphics.

So get a skt 939 motherboard and cpu

Baltan

just..

don't build it yourself instead buy ready steady dell or something like that
i don't see any reason to built office/surf puter. cause too expensive and unintresting :zzz: . U get some nice warranty&support too when u buy ready system.
check prices on the net before you do anything else :knock:

hi all-

I have finally made up my mind that I am just going to buy a Dell system, it would be much easier for my needs. here are the specs on the new system:

Dimension B110
Intel Celeron D 2.53GHZ
512MB RAM
80GB HD
Windows XP Home
free 17" flat panel upgrade
Intel media accelerator Graphics
Dell A215 speakers
Dell USB keyboard and Mouse

its not much but it will do what I need it for, I'll upgrade the RAM by using the old from my current system, they're both PC3200 DDR 400MHZ

Glad you have finally chosen what you would like to buy.

Sounds like an ok sytem for what you want to do.

Best of Luck

Baltan

DonNagual said:
As far as I know, 754 does not support dual channel ram. Only the 939 and SOME socket A motherboards do (for AMD).

What is your motherboard's make/model?
I am sorry, but I have a Socket A Mobo and it is a AN35 and supports Duel Ram so I am unsure where you came to that conclusion.
Also I would really listen when they say get a 939 cpu and not a 754.

But eh as long as you are happy with what you get that is all that matters in the end.

lothia said:
I am sorry, but I have a Socket A Mobo and it is a AN35 and supports Duel Ram so I am unsure where you came to that conclusion.
Also I would really listen when they say get a 939 cpu and not a 754.

But eh as long as you are happy with what you get that is all that matters in the end.

Perhaps you are reading my quote wrong? I said that there are some socket A boards that support dual channel....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back