TechSpot

Building a Plexi Case.. Suggestions / Comments

By ---agissi---
Oct 29, 2005
  1. I've read a thread on here before about someone wanting to do this. I think it was SB that bought up an important point that Plexi is a great conductor of static eletricity.

How worthy would a metal mobo tray be in there? Would that only ground the motherboard? So that I dont have to spend $20 on a cheap case just to part it out, is there any way to ground the components with some wiring and a ground (only) plug? My dad does this kinda stuff so I would be able to rig about anything up.

I would still use standoff's when mounting the mobo, but would I want rubber washers/gromets between the plexi and all the hardware that gets mounted to it?

Also what would be the best way to cut a 80mm or 120mm fan hole into it - just the old dremel?

Any other comments or suggestions that would help are appreciated.

2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

Using a dremel would work.. but it would be a pain in the A**. I use a hole saw...seen here

I think if youcould make the project work..i would be cool...but it seems like a big hassle

3. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 966

Hello

That is a good creative idea.
    There are anti static sprays that are clear when dry.
    Even some types of hair spray will work.

:haha: HAHAHA :haha:

This is the one I've used officedepot.com

Even giving the inside of Plexi a good rub with bounce sheet can reduce static, I use them for long term storage of electronics, they help with moisture too.

hope to see some pics when you get it done...
    G'Luck

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.