TechSpot

Building my computer, details inside! ***Which video card question.***

By GRunyon
Jul 31, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am in the progress of building a computer on a budget, specifically something that will run games such as Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft better then my 1GHz Celeron with 512MB RAM, SoundBlaster Live 5.1, and an ATI Radeon 9200 GFX Card... :)

My new computer, I am planning on an aproximate 670 dollar budget, that has to include EVERYTHING! My plans were:

For a case, I was planning on a case from XPG Gear, features include
    - Power Lab 450 watt power supply
    - 4 CD/DVD bays, 2 Floppy Drive bays, and 5 HardDrive bays
    - 1 Side, Front, Back, and Bottom fans.
    - Thumb Screws
    - The option to get 2 Fans included instead of 1
    - Alien Head Resemblence :)
    **********$55**********
    I was planning on getting a combo from SMKSUPERSTORE that comes with
    - P4 3.0GHz Processor
    - Arctic Silver Alumina Thermal Compound
    - Ultra Performance Copper Core Fan & Heatsink, Under 135* Under High Load
    - IS7 Motherboard (INTEL 865PE) that supports HT, has a 800MHz FSB, AGP 8x, and got 9/10 in 4 reviews I read.
    - 256 RAM Stick
    - 3 Year Warranty on both CPU and Motherboard
    **********$355**********
    I also plan to put more memory in from 4AllMemory
    - PC3200 Dual Channel 1GB Stick
    - Lifetime Warrenty
    **********$115**********
    I also plan on keeping my SoundBlaster Live 5.1 and trasnferring it over to my new setup.
    On top of that, I expect to have to keep 25 bucks on hand when I find myself out of screws, in need of a cable, missing a fan or any other excuse that causes me to have to run out to COMP-USA.
    **********$25**********
    TOTAL: $550

Now is it just me, or am I underbudget? I was thinking that maybe it was time to give my ATI Radeon 9200 a break. This is were I need your help!
    Someone told me to check out the ATI Radeon 9250 256MB, and with further research I also found the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256MB. I could pick up either for around $65. Now, which one would you say I would be happier with? The goal of getting the new graphics card is because I figured that I could use the extra bit of texture memory for running Everquest. Any thoughts on which I should get? Maybe a better one with 256MB of memory? I can go up to around $100 on the graphics card, but please also give your opinions about which of the two cards, too.

****ALSO I know that mixing the 256 stick and the 1GB stick isnt going to mean that I will be taking advantage of the 800MHz FSB, when I get my next paycheck I plan on getting another GIG stick.****

Thanks! Lookout for my posts in other threads, I will keep you updated as I build my new computer!
  2. GRunyon

GRunyon TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 69

Ohh yeah, I am also keeping my Maxtor ATA-133 7200RPM harddrive, as its all the space I will ever need. :)
  3. Austin44

Austin44 TS Rookie Posts: 78

alright u have 120 dollars left for a graphics card i think. so i would go with a nvidia 6600 gt you should be able to get it for 140 bucks, i know 20 bucks over but it is really worth it! you might get that 20 bucks if u take out that 256 ram and just use ur 1 gig ram. also i order a custom computer a couple days ago from www.zuke.com and i should be getting it this thursday or friday, i chose them cus they're prices r awesome and the dont charge a building fee! but ill let u know when i get it if its all there.

Austin
  4. GRunyon

GRunyon TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 69

Hey! Thanks for the post! WHat I am doing is logging on to PriceWatch.com and getting my stuff from there. I will check out your site though.... Thanks for the reply!
  5. Austin44

Austin44 TS Rookie Posts: 78

:haha: just kickin *** and taking names....
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.