TechSpot

Building new business computer?  mobo

By kesler
Aug 23, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've decided to build a new computer for my business. The main thing I am looking for is stability. I will be running XP. Most of what I run is Quickbooks, office and I use the internet all day to track and order. Do you think I should go to dual-core? I need something to handle my use without slowing down. So I guess my questions are: 1 Most stable mobos/ 2 processor choice/ 3 Hard drives any need for 2 ? Thamk you
  2. joked u 2

joked u 2 TS Rookie Posts: 191

money is the key... if you want absoult reliabilty you could spent $10,000... but it sounds like all you need is a good asus board $100 intel processor. pentium d's are a cost efficent way to go for a dual-core system. and as for hard drives you could buy 1,2,or 3. with one if the drive fails, your outta luck. if you buy 2 you can store you data on one and the os on the other. with 3(i personally would spend the extra money, but thats me) it gets a little complacted. its like # 2 but there are 2 data drives and the 2 data drives have the same info.(exactily the same) so if one fails take it out and put another one in and away you go. this is called RAID and its a miror. theres a # for it either 0 or 1(RAID 0 or RAID 1). like i said $ is the real factor.
    I have exclent luck with my borad(listed below, p5 somthing)and would go with a dual core. the pentium d is an inexpensive dual core for most. the core 2 duo series just has more cashe.(and other minor changes)
    I hope this helps... any more questions feel free 2 ask
  3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

You will find as many recommendations as you can find techs. I would never consider an ASUS for business, but prefer Gigabyte, the rocksolid FoxConn, and others. The Dual-core system is ok if you have money, but nothing about a business system needs it for that extra cost, when AMD will run everything in a business computer at a significantly lower price.
    RAID is almost absolutely useless in a business computer, because it is so difficult to rescue your data, but it is perfect for an advanced gamer machine. RAID is an unwise choice unless you have very specific reasons for why you want it. It is monstrously difficult to get the data off the mirrored RAID if you need it. There are better choices such as a backup SATA drive or Even EIDE.
    Do not overspend on a business computer. Put the money into the business... and backup systems... or a second desktop.
    Your data is the key to everything. Protect it. Against lighting, theft, infestations, hardware failures. Keep it simple. And keep it cool.
  4. kesler

kesler TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 141

can I put 2 hd in with 2os so if one goes down I can switch to the other?
  5. joked u 2

i will agree with you for the most part but, i can tell you most ASUS boards are manf. by Foxxconn. and amd is the cheape way to go, but if you want a rock solid reliable CPUintel is the only way to go man. AMD can't keep up with intels research and they are heading for going out of buissness. I will admit, it is the cheaper way to go. as for RAID, I definatly got ahead of my self. I work in a large buisness where there are servers everywhere and everything is RAID-5. as for a buissness computer, a gigabyte board would be a good choice. a gig of ram(kingston, corsair or crucial), DVD-Burner(LG, Samsung or Sony)sata HDD(seagate, WD, Maxtor, or Hitatchi)and invest in either a UPS(uninterupable power supply or back up battery) or a GOOD surge protector. nd to answer your question, you can or partion 1 hard drive into 2 sections. you would usually do that with 2 different OS's. but if you do have 2 individual disks and one goes down then the data is gone, even if you boot to the other. what is saved on disk A is on disk A and will not be on disk B unless you save it to both drives and do everything twice. they would be totally independnt
  6. kesler

so if I save just my quickbooks work as go on both if one goes down I won't have to wait to get back up and running or do you have an easier option I just don't want to spend too much time getting up and running in the event one hd fails
  7. joked u 2

if you use an external hard drive and every say week or when ever you want to back up, ghost the entire hdd to the external drive. that way you have an exact copy of EVERYTHING!! the whole OS and all your QB from the time you backed up last. it usually takes at least an hour or 2 but if you do it at night before you leave it'll be done when you get back. so when a falure occors, you can simply boot from ghost and take the ghost image off your external drive and reghost it to your main drive and your back up and running or if the drive simply "dies" replace the main drive and ghost the image to the new one.
  8. kesler

Thank you, I have a external dr now. Do I need software to ghost it?
  9. Rilla927

Rilla927 TS Rookie Posts: 180

You mentioned 2 OS's in case one goes down. I have a better answer for you, it's called Bootback. You need to install on a clean system and it will make a baseline (which is Primary Snapshot) and then you can create up to 10 snapshots for various working enviroments. The Primary is automatically created when you install the program and then you right click or go to menu and create Secondary (or what ever you would like to call it). Since the Primary is your main working snapshot if something goes wrong, you boot to the Secondary and right click and do a copy update and guess what, all the wrongs that were in the Primary before you done the copy/update are identical to the Secondary snapshot which means the wrongs are gone. No cleaning up after it.

This program is so flexible as to the way you want to use it, it isn't funny. This program is priceless to my everyday enviroment. It has saved me so many times like driver updates that don't work, windows updates, testing new software and you are able to wipe it away at your choice. It's endless what you could do with it. The only thing of course is it can't save you from a hardware failure, but as long as you have a copy archived some where else you can restore windows and re-install Bootback and import the up to date archive and you are back in business.

People really don't know what they are missing until they experience this program. I have been using it since Jan 2007. I don't know how I did with out it, as long as I did.

http://www.softwarepursuits.com/bootback/download.asp
  10. kesler

Anybody else heard of bootback?
  11. Rilla927

Rilla927 TS Rookie Posts: 180

No you not probably gonna get anyone that has ever heard of it. I never heard of it until I they started their own forum under Wilders Security. You can go through the threads and see how this program has been torture tested for yourself.
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84

It was former aka: FD-ISR (First Defence- Instant System recovery) by Raxco Software which do not sell anymore. You have to try it for yourself. It's worth every penny and then some.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.