Building new computer, having mobo problems .. help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got all the parts today to build this new computer, and so far it's been nothing but a headache. After trying for several hours to figure out why it wouldn't post, I finally jiggled the RAM and now it's posting ... but it's only seeing one memory module. I have 2x512mb sticks in there, and both register individually, but putting them both in won't show as 1 gig.

The motherboard is an ECS RS485M-M, and the memory is from AData, dual channel DDR2 800. I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do to fix this, or if I have to send it back and wait another week before I can get this system up and running... any advice? Is there something I might have overlooked?

Thanks in advance!

Are you having problem with RAM?
First you must check whether you motherboard support your RAM speed, dual channel compatibility, clock speed and multiplier.
Simply, is both of your RAM exactly the same?
So you're telling that you could only use 1 ram instead of 2?
And when you put both of them the PC only recognize one of them right?

I guess you should wait another members with same mobo to tell the compatibility or search it in google. I personally didn't use those brands but i sure that there's compatibility arise or either product failure...

Welcome to techspot :)

The motherboard does support the type of RAM I am using, in dual channel and they are a matched pair.

Each 512mb stick works when placed alone in the first slot, but when they are both put in simultaneously, it still only reads 512mb.

Did you put them in color coded, blue RAM slots used, or red used (whatever colors you have) so it would be

RAM-Open-RAM-Open, if your mobo has 4 RAM slots.

That mobo brand is garbage, and that RAM brand is garbage. Don't take offense, one of my RAM sticks is AData too. Those brands are just low quality. They are probably just not compatible with each other. I'd say exchange the mobo for a different one and see if it works.

Thank you for the input, do you have another suggestion for a motherboard that I can find on newegg? The only features I require are socket AM2, DDR2 support up to 800mhz to support the RAM I have, PCIEx16 (1 slot only), and serial ATA. I don't need onboard video, overclocking or any other bells and whistles ... just want it to work with what I have. :D

Personally, looking on Newegg i would consider picking a Abit board or Gigabyte. Both of those companies make great boards. ECS really does make cheap stuff...

I haven't installed windows yet, as I'm likely going to be RMA'ing the mobo. I've tried a single stick in the second slot and the board won't post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back