Building New Computer...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's the deal, i built a computer w/ a ASUS K8V SE Deluxe MOBO, a AMD 3400+ CPU, Radeon 9800XT 256mb AGP, and a Soundblaster LIVE soundcard...everything put together turned the machine on, and no roasting marshmallows...no here is my problem... BIOS!!!

System runs and well IDK WAT THE HELL TO DO!

my HD is set up on my IDE Master, and my 2 drives (DVD, and CDR/RW) are on my IDE Secondary... no RAID, just one HD, and nothing in SATA...my harddrive comes from another computer w/ lots of files on it already including Windows XP, but i never even get to Windows cause i get

Serial CH0 : Not found (or something like that)
Serial CH1 : Not found

and BIOS not installed...PLEASE HELP!!

Please

Please guys i really would appreciate assistance, cause the computer is just sitting there, the power and capability being wasted on BIOS!

Try to clear CMOS. There's a little jumper you short out for 5 seconds. It should be depicted in the manual. If that doesn't work, then you've got no BIOS which leaves you with 2 options: 1. return the mobo cuz it's defective, 2. Get a bigger hammer.

When does that messahe appear ? To me it sounds like an error message printed by the onboard Promise SATA controller when it does not find any SATA drives attached to it. It is not the motherboard's BIOS giving you that error message.

umm it happens like after the boot screen and right as it starts trying to load windows...:-\ do i have to go in BIOS and turn of SATA or wat should i try to do?

TheElite42 said:
Ok, here's the deal, i built a computer w/ a ASUS K8V SE Deluxe MOBO, a AMD 3400+ CPU, Radeon 9800XT 256mb AGP, and a Soundblaster LIVE soundcard...everything put together turned the machine on, and no roasting marshmallows...no here is my problem... BIOS!!!

System runs and well IDK WAT THE HELL TO DO!

my HD is set up on my IDE Master, and my 2 drives (DVD, and CDR/RW) are on my IDE Secondary... no RAID, just one HD, and nothing in SATA...my harddrive comes from another computer w/ lots of files on it already including Windows XP, but i never even get to Windows cause i get

and BIOS not installed...PLEASE HELP!!

You say you have no SATA drives?, so the hard drive connected is an ATA one.

I don't have any experiance with sata ect(still have an old system), but it seems that on SATA CH0 and CH1 isn't detecting anything, what is normal because you haven't connected anything to it. What I get from your post is that your hd is ATA and not SATA? Could be you have to select ATA in the bios or something?

Just a thought thou :), probably i got it wrong, but it's worth a look

Ya look in your manual for a SerialATA (SATA) jumper or something, to turn it off, anything like that.

It has a bios, otherwise the mobo wouldnt work, and you wouldnt be getting that message.

Your hard drive will not boot to windows, you'll have to reinstall windows, possibly format, you cant take a hard drive out of a previous computer, put it into a new computer with completely different hardware and expect windows to boot, because it wont. They did the dileberly, so you couldnt install windows on a bunch of hard drives, then sell or give away the hard drives with windows already on them. That way when they get in the new/next computer, it wont work & you have to reinstall.

well thnx u guys, i'm definately trying both options! first the SATA one, then the reinstalling windows...wat i'm thinking about doing is buying a new HD and then installing it onto that, then just adding the old HD to it...u htink that might work?

Defently, thats a great idea. Just mount the hard drive as a slave and go :)

That'll also give you a completly fresh, happy, windows installation :)

TheElite42 said:
well thnx u guys, i'm definately trying both options! first the SATA one, then the reinstalling windows...wat i'm thinking about doing is buying a new HD and then installing it onto that, then just adding the old HD to it...u htink that might work?
Thats a great idea, but i don't know if you can use sata and ata both at the same time?, maybe someone can confirm this?

But the idea is great :), thats what i'm planing to do when i got the money to build myself a new system. Putting my old hard drives on my pci raid controller and buy one sata drive(a cheap one :p). That way i can upgrade to sata later(got 440gb hd in my comp now).

Go into bios, disable sata/raid support, check the boot order is set to boot from ata, on first bios screen check that the hd's are set to auto. Do a autofind hard drives if this is available. (Usually on last bios screen)

It just sounds like you have it set to boot from sata or raid and nothing else :)

Bro, I feel you on this one, I just aquired a MSI KT6V with a Athlon XP 2600+ barton. I was getting the same message on a blue screen right. We you will have to press f5 or whatever key your bios tells you to get to your boot menu....you know the options like boot with network support, boot from floppy and so on....well this is what you need to do, you will need to boot from cd, and this sucks but it fixed my problem, make sure you have your os cd in it and reinstall your os, and format accordingly. This fixed my problem, but Im still looking for my antivirus cd to reinstall.....Hope this works for you too.

Evil
:darth:

yoyo

yo...i had something of the same problem..make sure there is power to your HD first of all :D . Then look in your BIOS like everyone else said. I had to turned off my RAID controller because im runnning my Raptor drive base (1)Sata, and im loving it...Laterz :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back