Building new gaming pc (vid card help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnePanda

Hey all..well with quake4 coming, I've decied to build a new pc.
Right now I'm hung up on deciding between some video cards (all pci-x16)....

evga geforce 6800 gt (512mb) vs evga geforce 6800 gt (256mb) vs ati radeon x800xl

If I'm spending this much on one of these cards should I just go up to an evga 7800gt or perhaps another card is better than all of these? Also, I'd like to stay under 400 and if it helps any, the main game I will be playing is quake4.

Additional info on new pc (these are the parts I'm leaning towards, but I'm open to suggestions if you guys think I should be getting different parts):

mobo: Abit AW8-MAX 3rd Eye II
cpu: atleast a 3ghz 64bit p4 (open to AMD aswell)
memory: ddr2667 atleast 1gb (not sure on brand yet)
powersuppy: 500w (not sure on which brand though)
hdd: western digital sataII 250gb 7200rpm
dvd rw: not sure on brand
case: not sure on this either, just looking for one that has room for expansion and comes equipped with good fans/air flow

Thanks for the suggestions :)

7800gt's are about $50 more that the cards you list, and have more power, they may be a good choice if you can afford it.

Evga is a good company, they have a lifetime warranty on retail products.

Typically amd athlon 64 systems are better for gaming and also typically run cooler(the presscot intel core runs hot) and usually cost less, but that doesn't mean that p4's aren't good as well. Both run games well.
(I'm not looking to start an intel vs. amd flame war here ;)).

If you just gonna be playing Quake 4, I reckon the 6800GT 256Mb would be sufficient but if you are power hungry go with the 7800GTX (or GT).

If you are a serious gamer then you should go with AMD, they kick *** with gaming. Go with an Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard, or a DFI LanParty.

For processor go with at least an AMD 3700+ San Diego core

Power supply, I went with the PC Power and Cooling 510 Express on my pc, but it is quite expensive, they good PSUs though. also look at thermaltake powersupplys.

you should go with either NEC or Plextor or samsung, i've found, when dealing with DVD/CD RW/Rom drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back