TechSpot

Building new PC. AMD Sempron 2500+ What wattage is good for power supply?

By A_DOG73
Jul 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've searched online and found power supplies as low as 22 dollars. Those ones have wattages of 300 - 500. Is that ok or should I think higher? Im building An AMD Sempron 2500+ and will run windows XP with 256 to 512 RAM(trying to figure out the cost) I dont intend to do any major gaming or anything on it. Just for everyday use: Email, surfing, etc. Is 300 - 500 watts enough? Will I run into problems in the future? Any feedback is much appreciated
    Thanks

2. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 348

If you aren't going to put a big video card or multiple harddrives in, 300W should be enough.

I wouldn't buy any power supply cheaper than about 50 dollars though (even that is a little low). A cheap power supply doesn't actually put out the wattage they say they do and they can fail and wreck your entire system.

3. nucleardreams

nucleardreams TS Rookie Posts: 69

Below is a link to AMD's guide for building a PC system. Starting on page 9, it describes how to calculate the system wattage thats right for your components. Theres even a worksheet to help you through your calculations.
    Don't forget, alot of USB devices pull power directly from your PC, so you'll have to factor them in as well. :grinthumb
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26003.pdf

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.