Built a new computer, monitor wont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I hope that subject heading was descriptive enough for all you fine folks.

To get down to the bones of the problem, I just built a new computer almost from the ground up, I salvaged only my hard drive and my processor from my old computer (A 7200 WD 200gig and a P4 3.0gHz HT, respectively) as the ram slots on my old motherboard decided to die. That, and it was kinda eh.

I upgraded to a NEW motherboard, a BioStar TSeries 945P v2.0 LGA775 with the 1066/800mHz FSB, got a new case with a 500watt power supply, new PNY DDR2 RAM, and hooked everything up properly. Alas, I plug the monitor into my video card(the board has no onboard video. The card is an ATI Radeon x600 from the old machine) and I get that little pop/crackle(it's a CRT) that tells me it feels somthing, but all it gives is the monitor test and a blinking green light when I turn the machine on. It's like it's not even plugged into anything.

I certainly hope this isn't an issue with the motherboard. I'm using the risers so I know it's not grounding to the plate, and it's literally brand new. I AM very green on building computers, though. So perhaps I messed something up. I can go into more detail if anyone would like.

Thanks in advance.

Did you install a floppy drive? That would enable you to do a basic test with the hard drive disconnected and a boot to a floppy disc.
The pop/crackle could just be the monitor receiving power.
What do you mean by "monitor test"?

No, actually, but I have an external USB floppy I could try.

And sorry about being vague with "monitor test"

I mean, it pops up with the little "RGB" box on the black screen, says "Check your PC or Signal Cable. Monitor is working"

I had a similar problem to this a while back, ended up trying various different motherboard, graphic and video card combinations all with the same result. Turned out it was a faulty processor the whole time :/

Do you have access to a spare computer where you can swap out bits to test each part in turn?

Oh, incidentally, when you turn the computer on do you hear the system fans and Hard disks spinning up and get all the LED's coming on on the front of the case?

AsymmetricEnemy said:
well, I hope that subject heading was descriptive enough for all you fine folks.

To get down to the bones of the problem, I just built a new computer almost from the ground up, I salvaged only my hard drive and my processor from my old computer (A 7200 WD 200gig and a P4 3.0gHz HT, respectively) as the ram slots on my old motherboard decided to die. That, and it was kinda eh.

I upgraded to a NEW motherboard, a BioStar TSeries 945P v2.0 LGA775 with the 1066/800mHz FSB, got a new case with a 500watt power supply, new PNY DDR2 RAM, and hooked everything up properly. Alas, I plug the monitor into my video card(the board has no onboard video. The card is an ATI Radeon x600 from the old machine) and I get that little pop/crackle(it's a CRT) that tells me it feels somthing, but all it gives is the monitor test and a blinking green light when I turn the machine on. It's like it's not even plugged into anything.

I certainly hope this isn't an issue with the motherboard. I'm using the risers so I know it's not grounding to the plate, and it's literally brand new. I AM very green on building computers, though. So perhaps I messed something up. I can go into more detail if anyone would like.

Thanks in advance.

Did you ground yourself when handling all these parts. Just using anti/static cling sheets for a dryer and rubbing them on your hands will do. Or you can pour liquid fabric softer onto your hands and rub it in too.

2. Did you use the thermal paste for the CPU to protect it from heat? If you did everything correctly for the MOBO it should work. Check all connections again for the RAM, Video, an etc..

3. How did you screw-in the MOBO to the case? Make sure not metal is touching. Try clearing the CMOS jumper and removing the battery.

Do you get a post screen to show up?

Obviously, something is faulty, and it will likely require a number of hardware changes to test the possibilities. This is one time where a computer bench becomes handy.

CraigMc said:
I had a similar problem to this a while back, ended up trying various different motherboard, graphic and video card combinations all with the same result. Turned out it was a faulty processor the whole time :/

Do you have access to a spare computer where you can swap out bits to test each part in turn?

Oh, incidentally, when you turn the computer on do you hear the system fans and Hard disks spinning up and get all the LED's coming on on the front of the case?

System fans all spin, LED's come on, all that mumbo-jumbo works just fine. I know the RAM works, tested that. The processor was working completely fine just before I put it in the new motherboard, so I'm guessing it's not that but it might be. . Monitor works fine when hooked up to another system so I don't believe it's that, everything's connected properly(I folled the instructions in the motherboard manual to a T)

And to tipstir, I wore one of those arm-band dealies when putting it together,so I don't believe static was the culprit. The thermal paste on the heatsink looked fine to me before I put it on, so I don't think that's it. The motherboard was screwed in to the risers, so it's not touching the metal.

The only thing I can't really rule out is the video card, but it was also working perfectly before I put it in this new motherboard. The fan on it spins, but it's like the monitor isn't even noticing its existence. I even hear the HD spin, both disk drives(DVDR and CD R) open and close, so I have no idea.

Update!

Well, good news is that I pinpointed the problem was the video card. I plugged a new one in, and voila! It works.

but noooow, the CPU is running hot as all hell(86C) according to the BIOS, and the computer just turns off before I even get to the OS desktop.

I checked the heatsink, and the thermal paste...well, it looks like it's not even really there. So mayhap that's the issue?

ensure you clean the surface of the CPU with good electronics cleaner. Then re-apply your arctic silver paste in a thin layer so it covers the entire die. Then ensure your cooler is snapped on and connected.

If you put too thick of a layer of thermal paste it can act like an insulator. Make sure it just is a thin layer on your cpu. Does your case have adequate cooling?

Glad to hear you are making progress :) Over heating can be a right pain at times :( If you have case fans - make sure that they are mounted the right way. I was suffering from over-heating for quite a while before I realised both of my case fans were pointed inwards, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back