Built new computer, monitor wont turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went with my friend to buy the parts for a custom computer. I built everything for him, everything powers on fine, except the monitor does not turn on/ shows a blank black screen and has the orange "sleep" button lit.

The parts in the computer are:

Motherboard - ASUS Proactive ai Series A8N-SLI Deluxe
Hard Drive - Maxtor 120 Serial ATA Hard Drive
Video Card - WinFast PX6800 GT TDH PCI Express
CPU - AMD 64 Athlon 3200

Again, everything boots fine, except the monitor stays black/off.

Also, the back of the video card does not have an VGA monitor connection. It has 2 DVI ports and comes with an adapter so that you can plug in the VGA type connection monitor into the DVI port. The video card is connected correctly in the PCI express slot and has the power cable connected to the power supply.

Here is the site for the video card:
Leadtek WinFast PX6800 GT TDH

What wattage is the power supply and are ALL of the power leads to the mobo connected correctly? If the psu is only 300watts then u will probably find its not upto running such a power hungry setup. I suggest a minimum of 450watts but bigger is better, also go for the most expensive one that u can afford as cash buys quality.

in my earlier days of computer building the moniter wouldnt turn on and urhh i realised that i had some bolt/screw looking things left over :dead: i soon realised that i needed to use motherboard risers.

This could be the problem but i doubt it if youve built computers for a while :D

Do you have the 6 pin power connector plugged into the 6800GT? And Rik is exactly right regarding the PSU and the A8N SLI. This mobo is very picky about where its power comes from.

the video card is JGE 350Watts. Also, im not sure what your talking about when you say power leads for the motherboard. Everything seeems to be connected properly regarding power supply plugs. Yes, I did plug in the 6pin power cord for the video card. Everything on the system lights up, spins, etc. like its supposed to. The video card's light goes on, and the fan spins when I power up the system, I just get no signal from monitor.

350 watt PSU is probably not going to hack it with this system but try to at least get into the BIOS by doing the following:

1. unplug your PC from the wall and then unplug ALL your drives and remove all your PCI cards.
2. Do the remove battery, switch jumpers to clear CMOS/BIOS thing. put the jumper back and replace battery.
2. Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots and securely installed and that the video card is securely installed. Some folks say to use 1 stick of RAM only, thereby eliminating any and all superfluous components. If you do that, just make sure the 1 stick is in the correct slot as directed by your instruction manual. Also, be sure you have both power plugs in (24 or 24 pin.and 4 pin P4) securely.
3. Reboot with just the CPU, RAM, video card installed. No hard drives, no CDROMS, no floppy drive. Just the basic mobo and the 2 power cords.

You should be able to get to BIOS. Let us know if it works. Then you can start adding stuff back in.

Merc14 said:
350 watt PSU is probably not going to hack it with this system but try to at least get into the BIOS by doing the following:

1. unplug your PC from the wall and then unplug ALL your drives and remove all your PCI cards.
2. Do the remove battery, switch jumpers to clear CMOS/BIOS thing. put the jumper back and replace battery.
2. Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots and securely installed and that the video card is securely installed. Some folks say to use 1 stick of RAM only, thereby eliminating any and all superfluous components. If you do that, just make sure the 1 stick is in the correct slot as directed by your instruction manual. Also, be sure you have both power plugs in (24 or 24 pin.and 4 pin P4) securely.
3. Reboot with just the CPU, RAM, video card installed. No hard drives, no CDROMS, no floppy drive. Just the basic mobo and the 2 power cords.

You should be able to get to BIOS. Let us know if it works. Then you can start adding stuff back in.

this topic is a bit old (and uncomplete) but i just started building my first pc with the almost same specs as kontrol87, except i have a 480 watt power supply (way more than i need right now). i also did everything Merc14 said in the last post with no luck. i think theres something to do with the graphics card linking to the monitor? the graphics card is running fine with the fan and the green light. help

Make sure you have the video card in the correct slot and the SLI selector card is set to single GPU.

Merc14 said:
Make sure you have the video card in the correct slot and the SLI selector card is set to single GPU.

after a couple of hours of trying to get it working i found the problem. it wasnt anything to do with the video card. it was the motherboard grounding to the 'removable mobo plate'. it was touching it. im pretty sure this is kontrol87's solution too.

I kind of had the same problem, and after some time figured out it was because I didn't connect an additional (4 or 6 pin?) powercable next to the CPU to power it.

Hope this helps anyone having the same prob.

similar problem

I'm having the same problem with the monitor not coming up and no beep, but I was initially able to boot my pc and install a few drivers. The problem started when I tried a restart and now I can't get it to boot.

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB530P Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 530W Modular LED Power Supply
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition
ECS A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

This thread started in 2005 !, it's better to start a new fresh thread.

But in most cases it's:

All power out (power plug, and battery for laptops)
Hold in the ON button for 30 secs (dispersing all internal power)
Plug the main power back in
Turn On

I once had a similar issue, that I needed to remount (remove and reinstall) the video card too, which also fixed it.

thanks for your help

Many thanks for the help, I will be more mindful of the thread date in the future.
It looks like resetting the cmos wasn't enough, but your advice did the trick.

i have this exact same problem, just made a new computer, checked, rechecked, and triple checked vid card, is in there tight, fan on, light on, but when i plug the monitor in it always says no signal and goes on standby, even when the pc is off, after plugging the VGA cord in the pc the monitor will say no signal and go on standby. is this the monitor being homo or what? im thinking of trying a diff monitor. i plugged the monitor into my laptop and does the same, not really sure if its suppose to work on laptop though, was the first time i try that, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back