TechSpot

Built PC no video

By rivensniper
Apr 12, 2006
  1. hello... i just built this intel based pc. everything is conected right, i have checked many times. when i boot up everything spins fine but i get no video.

moatherboard: Asus P5GL-MX
    CPU: intel P4 3.2 GHz 800 MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache
    Harddrive: Western Digital 160GB SATA
    Video Card: EVGA e-GeForce 6800 gs
    RAM: 2 512MB patriot

any ideas?

2. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

Might be stating the obvious, but...

Do you have the montor pluged in into the graphic card?

3. CrossFire851

Also do you have the 4 pin connecter pluged in on the motherboard?

4. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Are you getting any "beeps" from the system?

Can you tell us exactly what you see/hear both before and after you press the power button?
    Before: any LED lights on the mobo?
    After: lights the same? Any beeps?

Does the motherboard have integrated graphics? If so, what port do you have the monitor plugged into?

Does the graphics card require its own connection to the power supply, and if so, did you connect it?

5. CrossFire851

I was thinking the same thing about the videocard. But I didn't want to get to noobified sry.

6. rivensniper

rivensniper TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes the monitor was plugged in... the green light on the mother board is on when the switch is I... i get no beeps... sounds like the harddrive is spinning... i have the monitor pluged into the video card...and the video card does get power and i have that pluged in as well

7. DonNagual

Does your case have a speaker, and is the speaker plugged into the motherboard?

No beeps is likely either a) no speaker ;) or b) ram not working

Try with just one stick, or try some other ram in your system as a test.

8. rivensniper

well i'm not seeing a speaker... so i asume no the case does not have a speaker...

9. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Speakers are tiny nowadays, look for a small cylinder of about 1/2" diameter, probably between frontpanel and chassis.
    There should also be a small connector from that speaker to the motherboard, where it connects next to power/reset/led etc.

10. DonNagual

Yah, many don't. You know all those wires from your case that you plugged into your motherboard? One of those little guys is usually the case speaker if it has one.

If it sounds like your hard drive is spinning, I think the next thing I'd check is the monitor. You don't by chance have a second one lying around to test do you?

11. rivensniper

well i'm new to building computers by myself... now this is waht i think it is... first i tried using my old 250GB harddrive which had 2000 on it... but it didn't boot up because of all the new hardware... well i bought a SATA harddrive thinking well i can slave my old one... well i was reading the manual...
    "Important notes on Serial ATA
    • Install the Windows® 2000 Service Pack 4 or the Windows® XP
    Service Pack1 before using Serial ATA.
    • Plug your Serial ATA boot disk on the master port (SATA1 and
    SATA2) to support S3 function. Refer to the table below for details."
    well i did find the speaker... and it is hooked up right... i'm going to try my old harddrive again but i don't think it is going to work... i need to get to the bios to install my os... and with out video... lol... this sux...

12. DonNagual

If the speaker is hooked up right, and you are getting no beeps, this is typically a sign that your ram is not being ID'd correctly.

You may have some bad (or mismatched) ram.

I'd say go back to the basics to troubleshoot.

Take your motherboard out of your case, and set it on a box beside your case, and then have only the following installed:

- CPU w/heatsink and fan
    - just ONE stick of ram
    - Your video card
    - speaker wire
    - (typically 2) PSU connections to your mobo

and NOTHING else.

Then use a screwdriver to quickly touch (short) the two pins that are supposed to be connected to your cases "power" switch. This will turn your system on.

See if you can get into your bios this way. If not, then one of the above parts is faulty.

13. DonNagual

Can you give us more details on the speed of the ram you are trying to stick in there? Are both sticks the same size and speed? What speed are they?

14. rivensniper

15. DonNagual

That ram should be fine assuming it is not DOA (dead on arrival. Happens sometimes).

I notice your board also has integrated graphics. In my post above (#12), leave out the graphics card and plug your monitor into the mobos built in graphics port instead.

This will rule out a dead graphics card.

Also, please tell us about your PSU. Make/watts.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.