Burned DVDs Have No Audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnf4ultra

Hello all,

Ok, I'm trying to burn video files that I captured with my tv tuner to a dvd movie, but can't get it to work.

I'm getting my signal over the air (antenna) and it's in atsc format(digital broadcast).

My problem is that my dvds never have sound once burned. I've tried it on two different computers as well. The video files I'm burning are captured in .mpg format and playback fine in windows media player(but play without audio in nero showtime). I've tried burning with nero burning rom 6 in win xp (came with dvd burner, my preferred program), and also with windows vista's "dvd maker" program in windows vista. Both produce discs with no audio. If I "explore" the disc in my computer, it has only VIDEO_TS files, and no AUDIO_TS.

Is there any other program I can try free to do what I want? If not, any good program that will work? I've looked at nero, cyberlink, and roxio as possible paid solutions, but I'd prefer not to have another nero product. Obviously I'd prefer to not have to buy a program, but if I have to, I will.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I dont do the type of video yo are doing but off hand it sounds like the audio portion of your files are in windows WMA format and unless you have a plugin for your prograsm you are burnig with they arent going to recognize or burn the audio portion because of licensing restraints. You should check and see if the program you are using has an option for doing the audio in another format.

I don't think the audio is wma, I believe that .mpg files(mpeg1?) have both audio and video inside. The only recording option is .mpg(although it does seem odd to have a dropdown list to select the format, but only have 1 format available).
Maybe I should just get sage tv so I can save in mpeg2 so it wouldn't require video conversion to make a dvd. I'd prefer to get it working with what I have though, so any suggestions are welcomed.

If it plays fine with audio in media player but no in Nero showtime it sounds like a codec issue. You might want to check nero's site and see if they have a plugin for particular codec's for showtime. You can also download a freeware program called "Video Inspector" that will identify the codec's you have installed on yoru machine. I have never used Nero showtime but I do recall that nero burning rom used to require and additional plugin for some mepg files to be ahdnled properly.

Is Roxio easy creator 9 suite a worthwhile investment? It's $79
It should do what I want...

I have heard that the latest version is OK, Personally I have steered clear of Easy CD creator since version 4 days, it was notorious for crashing systems. it wiped mine out to the point I had to reformat and reinstall.

There are some freeware alternatives that might work for you. look for "Silent night micro burner" it does DVD's and it is free and requires no install.

Try converting the MPEGs to AVIs using the free Virtual Dub software, this will wrap the video and audio together.

Thanks for the reply, but when I run virtual dub, it says my .mpg files are actually mpeg-2 files(not mpeg-1, like I thought), and it therefore cannot import the file. So now I guess I'm looking to be able to make mpeg-2 files into a dvd(that has working audio).

vnf4ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back