Burned out my RAM how?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok..tell me what you think. I just had to bring my comp to the shop because of a few issues (XP would not load, comp would not turn on--you know the easy stuff) so I, at my girlfriends request (her computer) I brought it into the shop to see what the heck is wrong with it. I just got the call this morning that the power supply is bad (ok easy fix) and that the ram (512MB) is burned out causing the other problems...HUH! A little background information...I recently bought UT2004 and strated gaming on the machine. (As I'm typing this I'm starting to laugh at myself for being so stupid) It has an Integrated Extreme Graphics chip as part of the mobo (64MD - nVidia) and the game loaded fine with little to no lag at all in game play. Could the game have blown the ram? Could it in effect also blown out the power supply? AM I a complete ***** for thinking I could do this to a over the counter eMachine, AMD Athlon 1.8G??? :dead:

p/s killed ram.

Shakesbeer said:
I just got the call this morning that the power supply is bad (ok easy fix) and that the ram (512MB) is burned out causing the other problems...HUH!
Simply put, the P/S went blewie and took her RAM out with it (surge).

I'd be very surprised if it didn't damage the CPU and drives as well (anything connected to the p/s).

The game had nothing to do with it. Either the drive was overloaded (not enough wattage to support all her hardware), not cooling (dead or blocked fan in the p/s) or was hit with a power surge (no surge protector).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back