TechSpot

Busted: Microsoft-hired agency paying bloggers to write pro-IE posts

1. SocialChorus, an "advocate marketing" firm working on behalf of Microsoft, has been offering to pay bloggers for promoting Internet Explorer. The campaign was exposed after popular blogger and Twitter designer Paul Stamatiou, who also contributes to TechCrunch as a guest writer,...

Read more

cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +506

Good try Microsoft, I like some of your products, IE is not one of those :p

EDIT: Although on my corporate network I'm obligated into using it and it's not that bad as everyone says it is, I wouldn't trade Firefox for home usage.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

I wish MS would pay me too! (for IE use, Bing search, and techspot login :) )

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  4. Bitvar

Bitvar TS Rookie Posts: 18

Not new or particularly unique. Every major group be it political or corporate does this on a very large scale. Typically the going rate for these workers is starting 40 cents per post.

5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

There is nothing special about this "news". All big companies are doing it.

99% of all AD-s have lie in them one form or another, and that's no news either.

It is not any near as sinister as price fixation, for example.

mosu likes this.
  6. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 563   +178

Curious to how some are saying MS is paying them? The article CLEARLY states a totally separate company promotional company named "SocialChorus" are the ones who offered to pay. This had nothing to do with MS. (before someone says anything, I haven't used IE in 10 years)

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,059

I don't use IE in any way shape or form but if MS paid me, I'd reconsider.

8. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,754   +1,107

Hey Paul Stamatiou, they offered to pay you to blog about IE and there's not enough bitcoin in the world to make you do it huh? You must have some extraordinary morals there, buddy.

Ahhh, Twitter... If it's good for one thing, it's finding everyone with internet access who thinks other people care about what they have to say.

9. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 708   +168

Samsung does this for their Galaxy phones all the time.

10. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

they will pay you to use bing on any browser

having used both ie10 and 11 for a lot of testing (and its the only browser on the rt) I can say I could survive without any hitch in my day to day with internet explorer. its lacking some features that firefox and chrome have but those are features I just don't use. but I will stick with firefox since I switch between windows and Linux a lot.

11. FF222

FF222 TS Booster Posts: 84   +29

So why are you lying right in the title?

12. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 860   +340

News do that from time to time.

Anyway, I always had my Internet Explorer uninstalled but since Skype stopped working because of it I had to get it back. Now I have IE11 installed and I just tried it a couple of times. I must say that it is not as bad as everyone says. Ofcourse, it's nothing like Chrome and I will probably never switch from it.

13. Jos

Jos TechSpot Staff Posts: 2,718   +87

@FF222 @Nobina I don't see the lie. Microsoft hired a company and that company was offering bloggers money for writing IE posts. That's what the title says and that's what happened here.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  14. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

...except bing rewards is available only for the U.S.A.; bing login says 'cannot create account' as I am in the Philippines.

15. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Addict Posts: 293   +69

Yawn... TechSpot, please tell me something that isn't being done by all large companies (tech or non-tech).

16. Agency? They could just ask some users on Neowin - they would do that for free!

17. FF222

FF222 TS Booster Posts: 84   +29

Wrong. The title says that the bloggers would have been supposedly paid to write "pro-IE posts", whereas the statements imply nothing alike.

Also, there's no confirmation that paid blog posts was Microsoft's idea in the first place, and not something that the agency decided for themselves as part of a generic campaign for IE.

18. drjekel_mrhyde

drjekel_mrhyde TS Rookie Posts: 101   +7

This

19. Yep exactly. I hate IE for lots of reasons like bad usability, inaccesable UI, horrible security not even possible to use real white lists, no extentions and quite amaterurish BING, but I will write everything good about it for good real money. Cash, of course.

20. You realize that Microsoft is now also a search engine, and this kind of SEO is called black hat and is what every search engine spent lots of time fighting. In other words, extremely hipocratic.