Buy 'Alan Wake' at 90 percent off before it vanishes from digital storefronts

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the best psychological horror action-adventure games of the modern era, Alan Wake, will soon be going away due to an unfortunate licensing issue. As a result, developer Remedy Entertainment is heavily discounting the title in an effort to give everyone that wants to play it one last shot at buying it before it is pulled from digital storefronts.

The Alan Wake Sunset Sale kicks off on May 13 on Steam and runs for 48 hours. At that time, you’ll be able to scoop up the fan favorite at a discount of 90 percent. Over on Steam, the game is currently retailing for $29.99 but come tomorrow, it’ll drop to just $2.99.

At that price, it’s next to impossible to pass up for those that have been itching to give it a try but never got around to it (myself included).

As Engadget highlights, the licensing issue is related to a handful of songs on the game’s soundtrack. Specifically, the developer’s rights to “Up Jumped the Devil” from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and The Black Angel’s “Young Men Dead” are expiring. Without the rights to the tracks, Remedy will no longer be able to sell the game.

Thomas Puha, head of communications for Remedy, told Polygon that they’re looking into renegotiating the music licenses but nothing has been hammered out as of writing.

The Sunset Sale gets started at 1 p.m. Pacific on Saturday and runs into May 15.

Permalink to story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J3QHzbK9jY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM5oWrsA3TM

Not worth to renew these music. This ain't gorillaz or red hot chili peppers.

This is more of a marketing gimmick to milk old games. That $3 price is really the worth of this 2010 game.

YOu cant just assume they can easily strip the music out of the game and patch it, theres about 10,000 legal or technical issues why they wouldnt be able to lmao
Rockstar did it with GTA San Andereas like a year or two ago and removed some songs..**** you auto-update..

Money for old rope really.

If people really wish to play the game I suggest a torrent version first to see if they still wish to shell out the dosh after experiencing the 2012 GFX that while adequate for the time are rather dated by today standards.

90% discount. Nah!!! Don't be ridiculous. I'd rather preorder a stupidly overpriced game full of release day bugs (most of which never get ironed out) that takes days to download because of high server traffic than download that same game a few months later, complete with whatever patches have been applied, and quickly (depending), all for a song. Logical thinking and saving money makes no sense to me. ;)

Rockstar did it with GTA San Andereas like a year or two ago and removed some songs..**** you auto-update..
wow, rockstar in an entirely different engine with entirely different contracts did it? thats amazing!

Personally I think the game is well worth a 3 dollar price tag. its very unique when it comes to combat and has a very nice story and the graphics are good considering its release day. controls are also smooth. if I didn't own this game on steam already I'd buy it. if you're unsure about the game just youtube some walkthroughs or something. no need to torrent it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J3QHzbK9jY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM5oWrsA3TM

Not worth to renew these music. This ain't gorillaz or red hot chili peppers.

This is more of a marketing gimmick to milk old games. That $3 price is really the worth of this 2010 game.

YOu cant just assume they can easily strip the music out of the game and patch it, theres about 10,000 legal or technical issues why they wouldnt be able to lmao

They can't reasonably do anything about the copies purchased before the contract ended but there is need to remove the whole game without trying a patch thing.

If people really wish to play the game I suggest a torrent version first to see if they still wish to shell out the dosh after experiencing the 2012 GFX that while adequate for the time are rather dated by today standards.

Why torrent when you can get a refund on Steam?

Back