Buying a new system

GNS1310

I was going to try my 1st build. Seems to be less of a hassle and a bit cheaper just to buy off the shelf these days.
I'll be spending more than I need, I already know that, but money isn't a problem, and I want something that will last a long time. Found a rig at Frys, seems to be a beast and completely and easily upgradeable for the future.

http://www.frys.com/product/6241660#detailed

Any comments? I've been reading a little about usb 3.0, don't know much about it...will it be compatible with this system? Probably going to add a tv card haven't looked into those yet. Would like HD on my monitor if possible.

I know its probably overkill and more than I need, I had an older computer that I've upgraded though the years (everything except the MoBo and CPU) I figured this would be a great start.
I do some moderate gaming, I play poker (I have 6-8 programs running while playing multiple tables), movies, music, business etc.

Something stands out to me straightaway:

PROCESSOR • Intel® Core™ i7-930 Processor
MEMORY • 8GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM memory (4x2048MB for ultimate performance) (expandable to 24GB)
MEMORY SLOTS • 6 DIMM (240-pin, DDR3) (two available)

I'm pretty sure this processor (and therefore the motherboard) utilise triple channel memory. You can't actually use triple channel with 4 sticks, it has to be in sets of 3. So its likely the first 3 are triple, and the final 4th one, is single channel (assuming it can work like that).

That fact its running like that would put me off alone - If that's acceptable, what else is been done to cut corners elsewhere....

I would recommend buying this machine instead, with the following parts:

* Case: CyberPower CX-9959 Lan Party Case w/ See-Thur Window [-18]
* Internal USB Extension Module: None
* Neon Light Upgrade: None
* Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
* Noise Reduction Technology: None
* CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-930 2.80 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366 [-20]
* Freebies: FREE Game: Just Cause 2
* Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking
* Cooling Fan: XtremeGear HP-1216B Five Heatpipes Direct Core Contact Copper Heatsink CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof) (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof) [-3]
* Motherboard: (3-Way SLI Support) MSI X58 Pro-E Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFire DDR3 Mainboard [-35]
* Motherboard Expansion Card: None
* Memory: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX [+54])
* Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [-15] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+10])
* Freebies: StarCraft II Free Trial Coupon with purchase of NVIDIA GTX460 video card or above
* Video Card 2: None
* Video Card 3: None
* Dedicated PHYSX Card: None
* Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
* Power Supply Upgrade: * 950 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-950TX Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+94]
* Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-23] (Single Hard Drive)
* Data Hard Drive: None
* Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
* External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
* USB Flash Drive: None
* Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
* Optical Drive 2: None
* Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* 3D Vision Glasses: None
* LCD Monitor: None
* 2nd Monitor: None
* 3rd Monitor: None
* Speakers: None
* Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
* Mega Notebook/Netbook/Server Bundle: None
* Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
* Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
* Gaming Gear: None
* Extra Thermal Display: None
* Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
* External Wireless Network Card: None
* Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
* Bluetooth: None
* Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
* Video Camera: None
* Headset: None
* Printer: None
* Cable: None
* Power Protection: None
* Surge Protector: None
* IEEE1394 Card: None
* USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
* Floppy: None
* Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
* Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None
* Office Suite: None
* Games: None
* Ultra Care Option: None
* Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
* Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

Grand Total = $1337 (Heh.)

That's before rebates BTW; considering the rebates, you'd be paying slightly lesser as for the HP machine, but you'd be sure that you're getting quality parts and some freebies to boot, not to mention a larger warranty coverage period.

Gosh Rage, I'm sore impressed. It was like a novel about building a computer. You aren't back on the Adderall are you....? :haha: :wave:

Gotta have the wi-fi and bluetooth as well.

Both can be added to any system very cheaply. You could add them yourself, or even use your current wireless means (as I'm guessing its not your first system). I actually find USB wireless dongles are much better, due to being able to move them to a better position for signal purposes by just extending the usb cable.

Bluetooth dongles are cheap as chips these days as well. Hell mine only cost £0.99 from ebay (its a micro dongle) and works a treat! :D

If money isn't a probelm why don't you guys give him some decent parts like a Intel I7 980x CPU and Radeon HD5870 graphics and a full blown Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Motherboard
and run SSD HDD for system and have a raid HDD for backup and general storage.

Geez Moiz...you left out the mouse pad, such carelessness! :p:wave:

If money isn't a probelm why don't you guys give him some decent parts like a Intel I7 980x CPU and Radeon HD5870 graphics and a full blown Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Motherboard

I do some moderate gaming, I play poker (I have 6-8 programs running while playing multiple tables), movies, music, business etc.

He said it wasn't an object, not to spend it foolishly.

not foolishly to get those parts, will last you forever

They go way beyond his needs, it the reason he listed what he did with his computer. The parts moiz listed will last every bit as long as the ones you did, and so what? who is going to be using the same computer in 10 years...much less "forever"
do you really suggest that the OP drop $1000.00 just for the CPU when his stated use will never come close to utilizing the capability of the components?
would you also suggest a new Bugatti Veyron to someone who needs a grocery getter?

Yes, yes i do. Bugatti Veyrons are awsome lol. Good point all good
Ya know, I get real sick of listening to this BS. It's like people think their yap is connected to somebody else's wallet

Like a breath of Fresh, Well No, I Mean Hot Air.......

@captaincranky, nah, MDMA's where it's at! :D

Maybe so, but why do the noobs seen to pick here for their first overdose...? But perhaps more importantly, why do they they never save any to get us high....:rolleyes:

IMO an i5-750 or 860 would be fantastic, along with everything else Rage posted above (except that corsair 950w, I just checked and the 850TX is available).

Ya know, I get real sick of listening to this BS. It's like people think their yap is connected to somebody else's wallet
My builds have become slightly more modest recently based on similar philosophy; efficiency is now my priority, money wise or other.

I think I'm actually ADD or something of that sort, though I remember I wasn't so a few years ago.
Maybe its acquired...
I want to try Adderall :).

IMO an i5-750 or 860 would be fantastic, along with everything else Rage posted above (except that corsair 950w, I just checked and the 850TX is available).

My builds have become slightly more modest recently based on similar philosophy; efficiency is now my priority, money wise or other.

I think I'm actually ADD or something of that sort, though I remember I wasn't so a few years ago.
Maybe its acquired...
I want to try Adderall :).

Just make sure to save me some.

not foolishly to get those parts, will last you forever
Listen, you pump out garbage like this and ask me what I'm on?

In the first post, you pretty much just want to hear yourself talk.

The second post isn't even a sentence.

My advice would be to go and buy all this crap for yourself, along with a Buggatti Veyron, and spare yourself, and us, the wisdom of your judgment.

Listen, you pump out garbage like this and ask me what I'm on?

In the first post, you pretty much just want to hear yourself talk.

The second post isn't even a sentence.

My advice would be to go and buy all this crap for yourself, along with a Buggatti Veyron, and spare yourself, and us, the wisdom of your judgment.

:haha::wave:

"And now you know-oh...the rest of the story" < Paul Harvey

Have a seat Cap...I will share :)

Back